Safari extension fills old details instead of current ones

Options
norysang
norysang
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a few items where I changed my login e-mail address some time ago (multiple weeks ago). Since updating the Safari extension to its latest version, it reproducibly fills in the old details instead of the current ones although it shows the correct item details when clicking on the item.

Is anyone able to reproduce this? It is getting really annoying because every time I update the Safari extension the already present problems persist while new ones are getting added.

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (81018040)
Extension Version: 2.17.1 2170010
OS Version: 14.1.1 (23B81)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @norysang,

Can you point me at an example of a website where you are seeing this behaviour?

Could it be that Safari's built in password manager may be interfering by entering the old details? Can you try the steps in this guide to disable it and let me know if it improves things: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, all sites where I am seeing this behaviour are internal sites that I can’t share.

The safari password manager has been disabled for years and still is, so no interference possible. The details are also only known to 1Password, for example a Fastmail masked email that was created using 1Password still is auto-filled although the login item does not contain this address any longer.

• Hi @norysang,

The behaviour you described sounds very odd.

In order to troubleshoot further, can you email us with the following files attached to your message?

1. The page structure of one of the sites you're having trouble with:

1. On the page exhibiting the behavior, click the problematic field so the field is focused.
      2. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
      3. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
      4. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
      5. Attach the downloaded .json file to your next reply.
    2. A console log: Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

3. A diagnostics report: How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Attach those files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/143406/safari-extension-fills-old-details-instead-of-current-ones#latest
    • Your forum username: @norysang

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thank you!

• norysang
    norysang
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ChrisC1P,
    I sent the E-Mail around 12 hours ago but so far I haven't received a Support ID or any response whatsoever. How long should it usually take?

• @norysang

Since we have a direct line of communication going via email, let's continue it there.

ref: QWQ-96171-828

• Hi @norysang,

As per your request, I am posting the explanation of the issue and the workarounds for more exposure:

Lots of websites will use email address as username, which is normal. However, when a website is using email as the username value and the login item in 1Password has another (old) email field saved, 1Password might get confused when autofilling.

For example, this website uses email info as username in the login form, however, the website's username input field only contains HTML attributes that are related to "email", there is nothing mentioned about "username", see screenshot below:

When we have a login item for a website like the above and there is an "email" field saved within it, like below:

In the consideration process for autofilling, 1Password's brain is doing the math for the username/email field. The actual "email" field takes more weight in the calculation, and then, 1Password decides to use the old email info in the "email" field, rather than the current/actual email info in the default username saved in the login item to autofill on the website. That's how the issue/confusion is formulated.

We have two workarounds for this situation:

1. We can change the title of the old email field, for example from "email" to "Oldemail" (no space in between). Then, there is no match between the changed title of the email field and the HTML attributes of the email field on the website. So, the weight of considering for autofilling will be deducted and the actual email saved in the username field will be prioritized.

2. Instead of creating an "Email" custom field in 1Password, we can create a "Text" field and name it email:

• This way, the "Text" field will take less portion compared to the "Email" field in the autofilling consideration process, so 1Password will still use the email saved in the default username field.

This discussion has been closed.