Connection between Email-Account and Login-Item

Options
Christoph13524
Christoph13524
Community Member

How are we supposed to use an Email-Account in combination with a Login-Item?
I have several email accounts set up in 1Password since there are all the details needed to document (like ports, servers, …). Why is it not possible to convert/use it as a Login-Item at the same time? Without having a Login-Item, the Email-Account won‘t show up when searching for it to fill in the credentials. So I manually have to open 1Password and search + copy + paste everything. That‘s why I made a duplicated Login-Item for these email accounts (because nowadays an email is pretty much a Login-Item). Now, with the email account also being a Login-Item, it can be filled out automatically.

There are several drawbacks with these 2 identical (Email-Account + Login-Item) 1Password entries:
1. Once you change the password, you have to change it for both items.
2. Watchtower is showing a duplicated password warning (bothers me a lot).
3. In general just a mess to have this workaround.

This problem I face for several years and I cannot imagine that I am the only one thinking that way. Am I using 1Password in a wrong way / how is it supposed to work / or is it really a thing that can be improved?

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS, macOS
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Christoph13524! 👋

Thanks for the feedback! Currently there isn't a way to convert a Login item to an Email Account item. The reason is because these are not only categories but they are item types that use different templates since they are meant to store different forms of information.

If you're just trying to save your username and password for your email account then I suggest that you continue using a Login item. 1Password uses Login items to suggest your credentials when you go to sign into a website.

If you're trying to save information like server name or a port number then you can add that information as a custom field to the Login item: Customize your 1Password items

That being said, this is certainly an area that we can improve and I've passed along your comments to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-36469021

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member
    Options

I too would be interested in having an email address item “surfaced” as a login option. Maybe a new field type called “login url” or something can be attached to any item, and that fields content is exposed as a possible login when on the associate website. There are a few category types that have their own template (such as email address, bank account) that would benefit from having a URL associated for logging into the associated website. Your suggestion above is a workaround, but given the email address template has many more fields than the default login template, it is laborious. Having the same password across 2 different items is also a recipe for headaches.

• @MortalWombatUK

Thank you for the suggestion! I've passed your comments along to the team internally. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37174588