1pw8 Crash upon choosing "device" as unlocking option

Options
Motorsheep
Motorsheep
Community Member

As soon as I tap on "device" under account->settings->security, my 1Password8 app just closes. Is anyone else familiar with this problem?
Phone: Huawei P30 ELE-L29 , EMUI 12 / Android 10

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: android 10
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Motorsheep, thanks for writing and letting us know about this crash.

After the crash occurs, do you see a prompt from the system to send feedback? If so, I'd like to ask you to send in a crash report and share the stack trace with us:
    1. When the menu appears, tap Send Feedback.
    2. Tap Preview.
    3. Scroll down and tap Stack Trace.
    4. Take a screenshot of the stack trace.
    5. Tap Back, then Back again.
    6. Tap Send.

You can include the screenshot of the stack trace in an email to support+forum@1password.com. You should receive an automated reply from our autoresponder with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. 

If you don't see a prompt after a crash, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device instead:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/143125/1pw8-crash-upon-choosing-device-as-unlocking-option#latest
    • Your forum username: Motorsheep

You should receive an automated reply from our autoresponder with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks again!

• Motorsheep
    Motorsheep
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy ,
    thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm not getting a feedback prompt. It just goes straight back to whatever screen I opened it from.

• Thanks for following up @Motorsheep.

It looks like the Development team may have already been working on this issue. Just earlier today, I can see we released a fix in the beta to address behavior which sounds similar to what you described.

If you're interested in joining the beta to try this fix, you can find steps in our guide: * Use 1Password beta releases

I don't have any specific when these changes will appear in the production version, but with any luck it will be ready in the not-so-distant future.

If you update to the beta, let us know if you see an improvement in behavior. I will also note that new releases can take some time from initial release to be available on all devices. So, check back soon if it's not available at the moment.

Thanks again!

• Motorsheep
    Motorsheep
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy, sorry for the late reply, I kind of forgot about the whole thing for a while. I've switched to Beta and downloaded the 8-10-22 update, but it's still the same. Restarted my phone, too, just to be sure. Maybe it's something specific to my phone / this emui version?

• Hey @Motorsheep, our sincere apologies that the crash is still occurring on your device. Would you be able to follow Timothy's steps above to send a diagnostic report?

• MacroPolo
    MacroPolo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, i have the same problem, after trying to set the device security option the second time and re-opening the app after the second crash the device option actually does become selected. However, when trying to log in with the device security pattern, the 1Password app hangs on a blank login screen with the 1Password logo at the top. See picture:. . I have reinstalled the app a couple of times, only for the same thing to happen again when trying to use the device security option. Deleting the app data also does the trick of resetting (instead of a full uninstall and reinstall). Please note that the app works correctly when not using the device security option, but that means typing in the full (in my case quite long) password every time. I have now installed 8.10.22.1 Beta but this made no difference.

• MacroPolo
    MacroPolo
    Community Member
    Options

How can I create a diagnostics report on Android? Is this the same as a bug report under developer options?

• MacroPolo
    MacroPolo
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hey @MacroPolo, thanks for sharing a screenshot. You can follow Timothy's above instructions to send a diagnostic report.

Let us know once you've had a chance to do that!