To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Export part of a Vault

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Memberships

Today, my better half, asked me for a list of all her passwords; (she doesn't have/want 1P). I have all her Password sites tagged with her name but I couldn't work out how to export only that portion and so exported my whole vault, sorted the csv by tag and then deleted 90% of the vault. That did the trick but it would be much easier if one could simply export a defined section.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Currently you are only able to export entire accounts, however while I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request internally to bring this to the attention of our team. They regularly review feature requests from our customers to consider what should be added or changed to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning.

Thank you again for your suggestion, we appreciate your feedback and love hearing from you - Please let me know if you ever have other ideas on how we could improve 1Password or if there is anything else I can help you out with!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for update. I must have filed this under the wrong topic. Membership issue? I think not.

• @Andrew42,
    You're welcome, happy to help.

• 1psidctm
    1psidctm
    Community Member
    Options

A tag based export like in previous versions would be VERY helpful. We have the exact same problem of exporting the entire Vault and then having to delete over 90% of it again.

• Hi @1psidctm,

Thank you for your feedback, I've noted your interest in this feature as well!

• rossumcapek
    rossumcapek
    Community Member
    Options

Please drop another nickel in the request bucket to export a single vault.

• rossumcapek
    rossumcapek
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the feature request!

• Thank you @rossumcapek! I've added your voice to that feature request! 🤗

• trolin55
    trolin55
    Community Member
    Options

This is a major regression from 1Password 7! Unbelievable! Why would you expect that any user would want to export ALL items unless they were planning to switch to a different password manager? Or is that the goal? Just unbelievable! Well, now I will start seriously looking at alternatives, because I never expected such a major loss of functionality from 1Password. What will we lose next?

• @trolin55

Thank you for the feedback. The primary purpose of the export tool is for moving your data to another password manager in case you ever decide to leave 1Password. We believe it’s your choice where to store and use your passwords and other data.

Can you tell me a little more about how you use the export tool and how a more selective export would help your use case? In general, I don't recommend exporting your items at all since that removes them from the security and encryption of 1Password.

-Dave

• trolin55
    trolin55
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I often provide IT support to various small community organizations. Typically, I'll set up various online accounts for them and store credentials in my personal 1Password account. Once they select their organizational password manager, I export the relevant items from my account for transfer to theirs.
    In the past, I've done this on several occasions. Now, 1Password has made that more difficult. I already have enough friction in my life. I don't need more.

• @trolin55

Thanks for the reply. How do you securely send the exported file to your clients? Once you've created an export it exists in plain text and would be transmitted in plain text if you sent it via email or a cloud drive.

Have you considered inviting your clients to your account as a guest? You could create a vault that holds only their items, share that vault with the client, and then that would allow them to receive the credentials in a secure way: Share with guests in your team

Each guest only has access to one vault at a time and, once they've moved the credentials to their own account or alternative password manager, you can revoke their access.

That being said, I've passed your request and feedback along to the team. For now, the following workaround using Travel Mode to export just a single vault might help your situation: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337

-Dave

ref: PB-36273720

• trolin55
    trolin55
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I understand the process of safely exporting and transferring passwords. I usually handle that process myself.
    I'm not interested in hosting clients as guests. My job is to help them become self-sufficient.
    I understand how password managers work. I understand information security. What I want is a password manager that makes my life easier over time, not harder.

• Understood, thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• 1psidctm
    1psidctm
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think it's 1password's job to question the processes for passing passwords to other parties. But it would be the task of 1password not to delete useful functions that once existed, but to bring them back.

The consequence of the current handling is that ALL logins are exported into an Excel spreadsheet, then all unneeded logins are deleted and the list is then handed over to the customer (of course in a secure way!)...and this way is definitely even more insecure as possibly wrong passwords remain in the list....

• DreamyTZK
    DreamyTZK
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing the same problem. Please add this feature as soon as possible, thanks!