Being asked for password often

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Prompting for password more than setting.

Comments

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying to migrate from LastPass to 1Password but I am fighting with some strange things.

Every time when 1Password has to fill a form I have to enter the master password. It's a device that is only used at home but even my iPhone shouldn't ask all the time for the 1Password password because the device is locked with face ID.

Can this be disabled?
    I also don't use touch or face ID for this device. Anyway, this is my decision, just asking for how to disable that annoying password request on every form (e.g. 2x when signing into Gmail + extra 2FA).

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

For me it asks always! When trying to login into Gmail with 2FA I have to enter the password 3 times (or use face/touch id). That makes no sense. I lock/unlock my iPhone/iPad and when it's unlocked I want the 1Password vault be ready to use without entering the password again and again. Never had this problem before with LastPass. Looks like I won't stay after the trial with 1Password - too many problems.

• Hello @xai! πŸ‘‹

I've merged your comments into one thread so that we can keep the conversation in one place. πŸ™‚

Welcome to 1Password! When you fill a login using iOS AutoFill (the prompt above your keyboard) you'll always be asked to unlock 1Password. This is currently a limitation of our implementation of AutoFill on the iPhone and iPad and I've passed along your feedback to the team internally so that they can look into possibly changing this behaviour in the future.

In the meantime, I recommend that you turn on Face ID (or Touch ID) unlock so that you can unlock 1Password quickly using your face or fingerprint instead of having to type in your account password each time:

Alternatively, you use 1Password for Safari when filling and saving logins in Safari since it doesn't require that you unlock it each time that you use it: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#19987

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I'm using LastPass since many years without any problems.
    Now I am using 1Password since 2 days.
    I'll share what I have learned about 1Password:

• Saved password (had to create a new one for this forum!) is GONE after a day
    • Doesn't sync updated data from one device to an other
    • Asking every time for the password in iOS
    • 1Password needs an extra app to edit the items locally (why not like LastPass and so many others directly within the browser plugin?)

The only positive thing: TOTP included in a really good way.

1Password has a really worse UX.

LastPass data breach? Well, who knows what happened or will happen to 1Password. If things won't find a way in the public, we won't know, even if something happened.

Wasted so much lifetime and I am really because of these problems.

[Removed profanity, please remember that this is a family-friendly community. -Moderator]

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

Again: The device is locked when not used.
    But when I have to use, I have to unlock it. The method doesn't matter.

But why, why in hell should I be force to unlock an app on a device that I have unlocked?

Do you guys lock every door at home too or only the front door?

PS: https://1password.community/discussion/143522/1password-not-syncing-asking-each-time-for-a-password-and-so-on-worst-app-ever#latest

PPS: The only thing I have ever posted on the LastPass site... a request to support JSON attachments, that's all. But 1Password solved it make me really upset.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

@xai

I'm sorry for the frustration. You can keep the main 1Password app unlocked for longer by changing your auto-lock settings:

For example, on iOS devices:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap Security.
    4. Set "Auto-Lock on Exit" to the desired option.

On iOS, the auto-lock setting controls when the main 1Password app locks but not when the more limited version of 1Password that is invoked when filling inside of other apps locks. I've forwarded your feedback regarding this limitation to our development team.

I'm sorry that you're also running into other issues, you mentioned the following:

Saved password (had to create a new one for this forum!) is GONE after a day
    Doesn't sync updated data from one device to an other

This definitely doesn't sound right and I'd like to investigate further. Do you see all of your items when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?

On which device are you not seeing item updates? And on which device did you make those updates?

-Dave

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

You can keep the main 1Password app unlocked for longer by changing your auto-lock settings:

I know, 1Password has so less options (which is generally good and the options are easy to understand), but this option doesn't work in general for me.

Sync problem... This worked:

For those reading along, the 1Password database on my Mac was somehow corrupted. Resetting the database, and pulling down a clean copy from the cloud was the fix. It was easy and worked fine.

(https://1password.community/discussion/comment/675848/#Comment_675848)

I am a dev and such things are really crazy. I haven't done anything on my Mac because it's just kind of a toy that is placed in the living room. I just installed the app, logged in, installed the browser extension and closed the lid. Nothing special on my side, totally nothing. But yeah, after logging out and in it works now as it should and was really fast.

• @xai

I'm happy that you were able to resolve the sync issue. πŸ™‚

Regarding the need to unlock 1Password every time that you fill a login, have you tried 1Password for Safari on your iPhone and iPad yet? It doesn't require that you unlock each time that you fill a login:

1Password needs an extra app to edit the items locally (why not like LastPass and so many others directly within the browser plugin?)

If you have the 1Password for Mac desktop app installed then choosing to edit the item from 1Password in the browser will open the desktop app where you can take advantage of the app's expanded interface and item management tools. If the app isn't installed the editing an item from 1Password in the browser will open that item on 1Password.com where you can edit it there.

That being said, I can certainly see how it would be great to edit the item within the browser extension itself and I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have our product team look into adding such a capability. Thank you for the feedback!

I do recommend that you install the 1Password for Mac desktop app if you haven't already since it allows you to unlock both the desktop app and the browser extension using either Touch ID or your Apple Watch (if you have one).

LastPass data breach? Well, who knows what happened or will happen to 1Password. If things won't find a way in the public, we won't know, even if something happened.

1Password is designed to protect the privacy and security of your data even if we are breached. While 1Password has never been breached we've prepared for that worst case scenario so that 1Password ensures that your data remains secure.

1Password's unique Secret Key architecture sets it apart from others in the password manager space. An attacker would need both your account password and your Secret Key to decrypt and access your account. Without both your account password and Secret Key, even if an attacker was to breach our other defences, they would only see encrypted gibberish.

You can read more about how 1Password keeps you safe on our blog: How 1Password Keeps Your Data Safe, Even In the Event of a Breach

-Dave

ref: PB-37226137

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

I installed the app only because the redirect to the web client won't show up the selected entry ;-) So that's another bug on a long list.

And yeah, editing the items within the browser plugin is important. More and more people run servers at home. Maybe they are offline but they want to update the passwords. This is a must have and will prevent such redirect problem as mentioned above.

Also the windows app is freaking large - why? LastPass is... super small with "only" 51,23 MB (which is large too, but 1Password has over 363 MB for what reason?!).

Compared to other password managers 1Password is in the upper price segment and so it's not nice to not let the user decide to store the master password or not (beside from ms hello, face/touch id and so on). The limits are to strict.

• @xai

Thank you for the reply. When I disconnect the browser extension from the desktop app and then edit an item from the 1Password pop-up, the correct item opens in 1Password.com ready to be edited. You might not see the item selected in the centre-column unless you scroll (an issue that I've reported to the team), but the item should be open in the right column, are you seeing different behaviour?

Also the windows app is freaking large - why? LastPass is... super small with "only" 51,23 MB (which is large too, but 1Password has over 363 MB for what reason?!).

I haven't used the LastPass app but different apps will have different features which will require more or less space. The choice of development language and frameworks used may also cause a difference. That being said, I'll pass along your feedback about app size to the team.

Compared to other password managers 1Password is in the upper price segment and so it's not nice to not let the user decide to store the master password or not (beside from ms hello, face/touch id and so on). The limits are to strict.

Not directly storing your account password on your hard drive is part of 1Password's security. We take our responsibility to protect your data very seriously and we try to thoughtfully balance security and convenience. This is why our team worked hard to create ways to make unlocking 1Password more convenient on various platforms, with the use of biometric unlock, without sacrificing security by using things like the Secure Enclave on Apple devices.

When you enable biometric unlock on an Apple device, 1Password saves an encrypted secret that represents your account password to disk and the key to decrypt it in the Secure Enclave. Only 1Password can ask to use the key and only the Secure Enclave can decrypt the secret. This allows for the convenience of Touch ID or Face ID unlock without ever exposing your account password.

-Dave

ref: dev/b5/b5#23431

• xai
    xai
    Community Member
    Options

Solved.
    I use Bitwarden now and have zero issues.
    Happy to spend my lifetime for better things.
    Cheers

• I'm sorry that 1Password wasn't the right fit, I've passed your feedback along to the team. I'm happy that you're planning to continue using a password manager to protect your sensitive items even if that isn't 1Password. Please stay safe out there.

-Dave

ref: PB-37307492