How do I transfer the passkey for my Apple ID from my iphone to 1p?

Options
rme
rme
Community Member

I am afraid it isn't possible at all, but I wanna ask here to be sure anyway: I currently am able to sign into my Apple ID (and any apple service) with my passkey saved on my iphone, this however requires the icloud keychain to be enabled.
How can I make it so it uses 1password for this passkey instead?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: latest
Browser: Brave

Comments

• Hello @rme! 👋

Thanks for the question. Passkeys for Apple accounts are automatically generated by any Apple devices signed in to an Apple ID running iOS 17 or macOS Sonoma or newer. You will then be able to sign in with passkeys on Apple using any iOS device or Mac signed in to the same Apple ID you are signing in to.

At the moment, it's not possible to save a passkey for your Apple account in 1Password (or any other third-party manager). Hopefully this will change in the future.

-Dave

• rme
    rme
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the swift reply @Dave_1P! That was what I feared for, but since 1password showed the "there's a passkey available for this account" on the account I thought I'd ask to make sure.

• @rme

I'm sorry for the confusion. You're seeing the "Passkey available" banner appear because Watchtower takes its data on passkey availability from passkeys.directory: Apple.com - Passkeys.directory

Some folks reported the banner issue yesterday and I filed an internal issue with our development team to have them look into removing or changing the banner until passkeys for Apple.com can be saved in 1Password. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26658