Passkey saving functionality not working on iOS 17.1.1

Options
binaranomaly
binaranomaly
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

I haven't found yet an app on iOS where saving a Passkey with 1Password works. The dialog is displayed but saving always results in an error.

Paypal - nope
health insurance app - nope,
discord - nope,

Is it working at all?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: latest
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @binaranomaly! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with passkeys on iOS. There's a bug in iOS 17 that prevents managers like 1Password from using passkeys in iOS apps. Apple plans to fix the issue in a future update to iOS. Some folks have reported success using the latest iOS beta and hopefully the fix will be released soon.

You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

Thanks for your answer. It would then be desirable that this is shown in the app and maybe the functionality even disabled so customers don't have to try and try again and wonder why it's not working as it should.

-b

• @binaranomaly

I'm sorry for the frustration, AutoFill of passkeys is handled by iOS itself so Apple will need to make the required changes from their end. As mentioned, the fix seems to be available in the latest beta so we should hopefully see it in the stable soon.

Saving and signing in with passkeys, using iOS AutoFill, does currently work in Safari in the stable version of iOS.

-Dave

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, not really an issue waiting for 17.2.
    Would have just been nice to know before pointlessly trying around 10 times w/ different services.

• @binaranomaly

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that better messaging would be helpful here and I've passed along your comments to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-36857575

• @binaranomaly

iOS 17.2 was just released by Apple and it includes a fix for the issue where saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in iOS apps didn't work. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you're still having trouble after updating to iOS 17.2 then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info @Dave_1P

• It's my pleasure. 😊

-Dave