Sonoma new password source selection menu

Options
JohnIT
JohnIT
Community Member

It seems that macOS Sonoma brings a new feature that kind of looks like it will allow autofilling of password and passkeys from a source different that it's own iCloud Keychain.

At least from the picture above I can assume that the whole reason for making an on/off toggle selection for iCloud Keychains is that maybe some other source can be added there.

My question is, is 1Password looking into this? Can it be possible for 1Password to integrate with this and be set as the default source for password autofill?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @JohnIT! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for the question. 1Password supports filling credentials into browsers and other apps on your Mac through Universal Autofill. You can learn more about the feature here:

And 1Password in the browser provides the best filling experience in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers: Get to know 1Password in your browser

I hope that helps!

-Dave

• JohnIT
    JohnIT
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of all the methods 1Password currently has in place for autofilling.

I was simply pointing out that macOS Sonoma seems to have introduced a new bespoke way of using password managers, which looks like a much nicer alternative than using Accessibility settings to achieve the same thing.

I was simply asking if this new development is something that 1Password is looking into and maybe offer an integration with this new system.

• @JohnIT

Thanks for the reply. Right now, we're focused on Universal Autofill and 1Password in the browser for filling into browsers and other apps on the Mac.

That being said, I'm happy to file a feature request on your behalf. Can you tell me a little more about why you'd prefer to use macOS AutoFill over the currently available options?

-Dave

• JohnIT
    JohnIT
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to file a feature request.

It's pretty simple, I would like to have the option to choose 1Password as an option in macOS Sonoma's new password options menu that is shown in Settings -> Passwords -> Password Options:

This page looks very similar to the implementation in iOS/iPadOS where 1Password can already be selected as an option:

So I think this implementation is pretty similar.

• @JohnIT

Thanks for the request, I've passed it along to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-36323853

• JohnIT
    JohnIT
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Thanks again for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• kloenk
    kloenk
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly overlooked this post while posting a new post. As I stated there the Universal Autofill feels rather alien to macOS. So this feature would be really nice to have.

• @kloenk

Thank you for the feedback, can you tell me a little more about what feels "alien" about Universal Autofill? Are you filling into websites open in your browser or other Mac apps?

Have you already installed 1Password in the browser: Get to know 1Password in your browser

-Dave

• kloenk
    kloenk
    Community Member
    Options

until know only tested the safari extension, as I'm not the biggest fan of giving everything accessibility access to my Mac (not even my password manager). The safari now has two buttons (the 1Password with an offset), and both are competing as I used keychain before and that still has most of my passwords.

The 1Password in safari looks like I'm running chrome, which just has a different design language.

• @kloenk

Thank you for those details. Is there any specific about the design language that you're finding off? I find that 1Password feels at home in whatever browser I use whether it's Safari, Chrome or Firefox. The team has built a custom design language called Knox so that you get a consistent experience on all of your devices and browsers.

The safari now has two buttons (the 1Password with an offset), and both are competing as I used keychain before and that still has most of my passwords.

I recommend that you don't use two password managers at the same time but choose one or the other. You can migrate all of your items to 1Password by using this guide: Move your iCloud Passwords from Safari to 1Password

There are also some pretty amazing features in the 1Password browser extension that wouldn't be supported by macOS AutoFill:

That being said, I've passed your request along to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36327327

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to second this request- it's good platform citizenship for an app like 1password to support relevant native APIs, just as a matter of course. Hacks involving accessibility APIs will always be a disaster waiting to happen when compared to using the proper platform-native APIs.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Normally 1Password is super fast in adopting new native APIโ€™s (I remember videos showcasing new functionality on the day of their WWDC announcement), so Iโ€™m rather disappointed how itโ€™s going now.

Is this a consequence of 1Password for macOS being an Electron App instead of a proper native App?

• @StevenBedrick and @XIII

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed along your requests along to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36658217
    ref: PB-36658238

• chronojelly
    chronojelly
    Community Member
    Options

+1 requesting this as a feature. Especially since this looks like the standard way to handle passkeys on Sonoma as well.

• @chronojelly

Thank you for the request, I've shared it with the team.

Just in case you weren't yet aware, you can currently save and sign in with passkeys using 1Password in the browser: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

-Dave

ref: PB-36837399

• vladfrangu
    vladfrangu
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also love to +1 this request, as signing in with passkeys in native apps on MacOS through passkeys saved on 1Password would be awesome! As an example, Discord is rolling out support for security keys and passkeys, and currently I have to store one in iCloud to be able to use passkeys with their app (not the browser app! those work fine with 1Password!!)

• @vladfrangu

Thanks for describing your use case for the feature! I've passed along your feedback to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36858062

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

+1 requesting this as a feature for me swell.

• Thank you for the feedback @JamesHenderson. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36961824

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. From my side also a +1 for this request.

@Dave_1P Any update from the team? Will it come in near future?!

Or is it just a standard answer from your side?

Also engineers at Apple don't understand, why you're not choosing the built-in API. Initially talking about iOS - but later mentioned the same for macOS.
    See: https://hachyderm.io/@rmondello/111122961961973718

• @dragon1

Thank you for the feedback, I don't have any news to share but I've let the team know that you'd like to see support for macOS AutoFill in the future.

For the time being 1Password in the browser, which follows industry standards for passkeys as set by the FIDO Alliance, allows you to save and sign in using passwords, passkeys, and more: Get to know 1Password in your browser

-Dave

ref: PB-37467408