"Open and fill" doesn't navigate to the correct URL

Options
EnerJi
EnerJi
Community Member

Odd issue I'm having. I have some Login items with a website that is just the domain name, e.g. "https://widgets.com"

But when I click on Open and fill for that website, I get sent to a more detailed URL on that same domain, for example https://widgets.com/[insert long and complex URL e.g. wdflkjhdsfkljhsdafljkh] and the site errors out (as if the specific URL is old/invalid/expired, etc.)

If I copy the site from 1Password and paste it into my browser, it pastes as https://widgets.com and loads fine.

This is just happening on a handful of sites and I can't figure out what might be different about those sites. The site that's giving me grief right now happens to be a large financial institution. Is there any hidden information stored within a 1Password Login item that could cause something like this?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.22 (81022040)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.6.1 (22G313)
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hello @EnerJi! 👋

Thank you for the question. When you click “Open & Fill” from inside of an item in the 1Password desktop app, a string representing that item is appended to the URL sent to the browser. Think of the URL like a secret handshake between the desktop app and the browser extension to help the extension automatically fill your login credentials into the webpage when it opens.

The error that you mentioned is likely coming from the website's security policies, they may have set that they only accept certain URL parameters are legitimate. Unfortunately this isn't something that 1Password can control from our end.

To workaround the issue on those particular webpages, I would recommend opening the site in your browser first and then filling your login using 1Password in the browser's inline filling menu rather than opening the website from inside of the desktop app.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

That is very interesting, thanks Dave. Is there a list of possibly affected websites?

Also, if there's a more technical explanation on the website somewhere I'd be interested to be pointed to it. Would love to understand this URL parameter passing a bit more.

• @EnerJi

Thanks for the reply. There isn't a list of websites since that would like change over time as websites update how they work. If you can post the addresses of the websites where you've run into this issue before I can report them to our development team. This is likely something that those websites would need to correct on their end but I can make sure that our team is aware just in case there are improvements that we can make in the future.

Also, if there's a more technical explanation on the website somewhere I'd be interested to be pointed to it. Would love to understand this URL parameter passing a bit more.

Not that I'm aware of but I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you may have here. 🙂

-Dave