OTP failing when both app and browser-based exist together

Options

I keep my software, operating systems, etc up-to-date, and my issue has only appeared in the last two weeks.

I have found - for some sites - that if I have 1Password generating the OTP for MFA, if I have both an app for the site on IOS, as well as browser-based on Windows, that OTP on Windows fails.

My main examples are Paypal and Dext.

If I login on Windows, use 1Password for password, and then for OTP, the OTP is not accepted.

If I login on my iPhone to the Paypal or Dext app, then the OTP works fine. (Of course, if I have already had a bunch of failures, then I'll be locked out.)

(And yes, my clocks are synced fine.)

This only seems to occur on sites for which I use both the Windows login, as well as IOS app.

In frustration, recently when logging into Paypal on Windows, I used the OTP generated on the phone in 1P. And this worked! But really, this is just the same as having an authenticator app, and defeats the point of it being within 1Password.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else faced this? It does seem to have only started recently, after working fine for months.

Any ideas are appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10/11, IOS 17.2
Browser: Chrome, Edge

Comments

• Hello @RomanSandstorm! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to use the one-time password generated by 1Password on your Windows PC to sign in to certain websites. Can you tell me if you're filling the one-time password using 1Password in the browser or copying and pasting it from the desktop app?

If you compare the one-time passwords for your Login item for PayPal in the following places do they match:

1. The 1Password app on your iPhone.
    2. The 1Password app on your Windows PC.
    3. The 1Password extension on your Windows PC.
    4. 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)

Which ones don't match? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• RomanSandstorm
    RomanSandstorm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

Using the OTP in the browser was failing, as was using the desktop app. However, manually entering from 1Password on IOS did work.

I decided to start afresh with the sites I was having trouble with: PayPal, Dext, Cloudflare. So I disabled MFA on all of them, and then recreated them.

Now, all are in sync again, and appear to be working.

When I compare the OTP displayed on the computer and the phone they are the same, and within one second of each other.

I think this must have been a 'user problem'... 😃 at some level. But appears OK now.

Thanks.

• Hey @RomanSandstorm,

Thank you for the update, please let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.