1Password for Mac beta is not communicating with 1Password in the browser

Options
eljt1
eljt1
Community Member

A number of weeks ago, 1P just stopped working for me in my normal workflow. I'm on beta so I figured some of these things would get resolved in subsequent updates. They did not. I can open the app and it works fine that way. However, there are a ton of usability issues:

1) Clicking on the icon in safari or chrome is incredibly slow to prompt to unlock the library.
2) It's asking to unlock far more often than what is specified in my settings.
3) Clicking on the 1P icon in a field does nothing, even if my library is unlocked
4) Opening the 1P mini app via the toolbar (after 1 and 2 are resolved above), will no longer fill any forms. Everything needs to be copied and pasted manually.
5) Trying to edit an entry in my database or create a new item via the mini app in browser opens a webpage to perform that action rather than the 1P main app.

I've updated everything, restarted, and all of these issues persist. Another family member is having the same issues on his computer.

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: 2.17.1
OS Version: 14.1.1
Browser: Safari and Chrome

Comments

• Hello @eljt1! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with the beta version of 1Password for Mac and 1Password in the browser. As a first step, can you please try the following steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.
    4. Open Safari
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    6. Under General, disable the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting.
    7. Under Accounts & Vaults, click ( ⋮ ) button to the right of your account and then click "Sign out" to sign out of your account.
    8. Click "+ Sign in to a new account" to sign back in.
    9. Back on the 1Password extension's settings page, under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

Then, try to reproduce the five issues that you reported in your first post. Please let me know if you still see any, or all, of those issues and I can help further.

-Dave

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

That is a lot of steps. When this same thing happens to me, which seems to be 1) every time I download the new nightly beta, or 2) sometimes if I haven't used 1Password with my browser for a number of hours or a day; here are the steps I use, and this always seems to work:
    1. Open Safari's Settings and select Extensions.
    2. Un-check the 1Password extension to turn it off, wait a few seconds and check it again to turn it back on.
    3. Close Settings and reload the login page you were on. Then you will see the in-line menu of login choices and 1Password is working again.

As I said, this always works for me.

• Thanks for sharing @mirv

Correct those on the nightly might expect to see more occurrences of this kind of behavior. That's because on each update the communication link is severed between 1Password and 1Password for Safari. It will need to be restarted like you described.