Autofill for multiple Google accounts

Options
PeterTCH
PeterTCH
Community Member

Hi.

Context
I use a total of 4 Google accounts - 3 for email and 1 for Youtube only.

Symptom
When I save the password for a new account I have no option but to overwrite the previous username (other Google account) and save a new password. Technically removing the other Google account from memory. 1Password can only remember 1 Google Account - it looks like.

Hypothesis
As 1Password only saves the URL https://accounts.google.com/ it may not be able to differentiate between the different usernames.

The ask
I like your service and would like to keep my family as a subscriber once the trial ends - can you help explain how all 4 accounts can be "remembered" and autofill be turned on for each of them? This is a make or break feature for us.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.0
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

@PeterTCH

Try manually saving a new login for each of the Google logins. I have multiple and when needed I select the correct one from the available listings.

Save a login manually in your browser

I suggest naming each differently. This should help deciding which login to use.

1. Google - A
    2. Google - B
      etc.

• PeterTCH
    PeterTCH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for taking the time to respond so promptly, in between the holidays.

This workaround has solved the main issue, thank you!

I'd love to also use the 1Password "auto suggest" feature to get a strong password in place for each of the separate accounts. Do you have a suggestion how to do that?

Thanks

• @PeterTCH

Yep, you've got one coming. ๐Ÿ™‚ Change your passwords to make them stronger You may need to couple that with the previous link for your situation. Save a login manually in your browser

Let us know how you fare or if you encounter any troubles.

• PeterTCH
    PeterTCH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy, I think I'm all set! Happy New Year (soon)

• You're most welcome and Happy New Year to you too. Now to train my brain to write 2024. That's another story. ๐Ÿ˜‚

• PeterTCH
    PeterTCH
    Community Member
    Options

It turns out I have 1 more question - I've added my wife to the family account and I'm trying to go through the same process on her behalf (under the family account). Although I'm logged in with her account details - and she shows up under the family "members" (I also confirmed her account), the Chrome extension (specs the same as in my first comment on top) will still save passwords under my private login. How can I switch to her in the extension? Alternatively, I tried on her phone but the app (IOS) won't recommend a strong password to be saved under her account. Do you have any tips?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hey @PeterTCH

Can you clarify if you're using separate Chrome profiles for each of you? Are you sharing a device? Are you using the same macOS user account? Off-hand, it sounds like you might be signed into the same macOS user account, and you are logged into the 1Password 8.app as yourself, and then you've added another Chrome profile for her and signed into her account here.

I would highly encourage the use of separate macOS user accounts. 1Password is geared to a single macOS user account. This will give each of you access to your emails, messages, and so forth. Also, this will ensure that each of you can use biometrics.

Many years back, the Mrs. and I tried the shared setup, and let me just say that once we moved to separate macOS accounts, life was so much easier.

You can optionally use different browser profiles, but one of you will lose access to the 1Password 8 application, and one will not be able to use biometrics. This is because you'll need to disable the integration with the 1Password 8 for it to work with two accounts from the same family account. In short, you cannot be signed into two accounts from the same family grouping without a few considerations being made.

Also, great job confirming her; that is the single thing I see missed most often.

As to iOS, are you using Password autofill (above the keyboard suggestions), or are you using 1Password for Safari (inline)?

• PeterTCH
    PeterTCH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tommy, first of all let me thank you for the excellent support here!

Chrome
    You're right, it's the same machine and same mac user. So I suppose if we were to go down this route and do what I intended (help her change all her passwords to 1Password suggested strong versions, and save them under her profile) - I'd need to create a mac user for her, download the extension on that account and log in with her details.

IOS
    When we're in Gmail for instance, under creating new password, I'm waiting for the "suggest strong password" prompt to appear from 1Password but only Google passwords autofill pops up. Under IOS permissions, 1Password has autofill permissions assigned. This was all in the gmail app, and default browser is chrome on her iPhone, no Safari this time.

Out of the two avenues above, I think the phone would be much easier if we could somehow get it to work, as she does everything on her phone anyway (hence no mac user account).

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

@PeterTCH

If it's easier for you to work on both accounts using the same macOS user, you would create a new Chrome profile. Give the profile a name, then install 1Password into it. Once installed:

1. Right-click the 1Password toolbar icon.
    2. Select settings.
    3. Select the General tab.
    4. Turn off the integration with the 1Password desktop app.
    5. Then, you'll sign into her account using the Accounts and Vaults tab.

Make sure to sign out of your account if it's already listed. Now, this will allow you to directly assist her in changing her passwords. Plus, it will allow her quick access if she's sitting and doesn't have time to switch accounts. We all know those moments occur while trying to run out the door and get something done quickly.

Use Chrome with multiple profiles - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Caveat no biometrics, and her account will not appear in 1Password 8.app. I'd think of this as special setup you can use when you need to assist her. Then if you wish, and when you have the time, you can create a new macOS user account and get that setup. This will also allow you to show her how things will look and she can actually see the data entering her account and so on. That way you're not changing projects mid stream and causing any confusion.

Phone:

Please ensure you've set up password autofill. It's a little different initially from what you experience on the desktop, but not overly so.

I also recommend disabling the browser password manager (on both devices) as it can cause confusion, and you may accidentally end up with data saved in both places. This leads to frustration because the password may be saved in Google on one device, and then you sit down in front of the other device and can't find it. Going all in helps a lot.

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

@PeterTCH

Give the links above a look and let me know if you have any questions. You're doing excellent and I expect you'll be a pro in no time flat. Then it's back to being the tech support for the family during the holidays. That my friend never ends. I suspect you know that already. ;)

• PeterTCH
    PeterTCH
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Tommy, we managed to sort it out through IOS by deactivating the Apple keychain and giving 1Password priority. Have a nice last day of the year and thanks again for all your support, excellent service really!!

• Dave_1P
    Options

On behalf of Tommy, I'm happy that you were able to get things working. Happy New Year! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave