1Password icon in dock at login

Options
DalikVee
DalikVee
Community Member

Hi

So, the way 1P works (when set to automatically open at login) is that the app icon will appear in the dock and then close itself after a few seconds, presumably so it can then display a menu bar item. It’s minor, but often leads to me clicking the wrong app when the dock shifts across at startup. I use lots of other apps which open at login silently and run in the background and/or menu bar without this behaviour - is there any specific reason why 1P has to work this way instead of just opening in the background without the dock icon?

I would just disable opening 1P at login, but that creates a whole load of other issues such as the browser extensions not working correctly and quick access being unavailable.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Ventura
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 3
    Options

Hello @DalikVee! 👋

Thank you for feedback! 1Password opens various processes at startup to not only display the menu bar icon but to start helper processes that enable the desktop app to communicate with the browser extension to share a lock state and allow you to unlock 1Password in the browser using either Touch ID or your Apple Watch. Quick Access and Universal Autofill is also started at this time.

While I'm not a developer, and can't say whether the dock icon can be suppressed at start up without affecting function, I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have our product team look into the feasibility of such a change.

For the time being, I'd suggest starting your Mac and then just waiting for everything to load and settle down before using it. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-37655570