Notification for items that expire

Options

We use 1Password for Business at work and it would be nice if notifications could be set for items that expire.

Sometimes you want something to expire and then you don't need a notification, but there are also cases in which it is useful.

We also record our Azure App Registrations in 1Password and you have a secret that expires. You want to know that it expires because then you have time to replace it. A notification of this would be ideal, preferably an email.
There are many other cases to think of why you would want a notification.

I would like to have the option to specify email addresses of those who should receive the notification and how many days in advance.

Can you add this feature?

1Password Version: 8.10.13
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hello @basgroenendijk,

Thanks for asking about expiring items in 1Password. 1Password's Watchtower feature currently has limited support for this, but can currently only show credit cards, memberships, and driver’s licenses that are expiring within 2 months, and passports expiring within 9 months. Viewing a list of expiring items also requires you to unlock the 1Password app or website, which decrypts your vault data, and allows applicable items with expiration dates to be reviewed in Watchtower.

Due to the end to end encryption used by 1Password, 1Passwords servers are not able to identify items with expiration dates, determine that an item has expired, or send emails about expiring items, so you may wish to set a reminder in another app or on your calendar, and use it to periodically check on your Watchtower reports.

For more information, you may find this article to be helpful: About Watchtower privacy in 1Password

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have an questions.

Thank you,

• basgroenendijk
    basgroenendijk
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @ScottS1P,

Thank you for your clear explanation.
    In this case it would be nice if the Watchtower also showed other expired items. Perhaps a notification can be sent from the application when it is open?
    Such a solution would be a nice addition because it would reduce the chance of missing something.

Thank you,
    Bas

• Hello Bas,

I'd be glad to share your request with the team. Can you let me know which kind of item you use to store the records in 1Password, for which you'd like to get notifications when they expire? I'd like to include that in the request I file, so the team can better understand your use case.

I'll be on the lookout out for your reply.

Thank you,

• basgroenendijk
    basgroenendijk
    Community Member
    Options

@ScottS1P sorry for my late response. But in 1Password for Business you can create templates. For example, I have created a template for Azure App Registrations, which work with Secret ID and Secret Value, where it is recommended that the Secret Value expires after 180 and must therefore be regenerated.
    You can also consider certificates, which often expire after a year and you would also want to save these in 1Password for security reasons. In this case it would also be useful if you could see something in the watchtower and/or receive a notification. This could be an email alert, but also a desktop notification or banner in the application: "note that something is expiring".

• ScottS1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @basgroenendijk,

Thanks for the additional info about certificates and Azure App registrations. I appreciate your contribution to 1Password's evolution. I've shared your feedback with the team, but don't currently have any information indicating if or when expiration functionality may be added to other item types of custom templates.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
    ref: PB-37307791

• seb9348
    seb9348
    Community Member
    Options

This is something we are missing also, having to use other tools to get a reminder on expiring secrets feels a bit odd, better to keep the secrets secret in one place.

And to have the app send a reminder should be possible, an email and the end to end encryption I understand, but the app itself should be able to notify.

I understand that 1password is more focused on private use, so the "Watchtower....can currently only show credit cards, memberships, and driver’s licenses that are expiring within 2 months, and passports expiring within 9 months." is understandable. But for businesses this is not really useful.

• ag_max
    edited January 3
    Options

Hi @seb9348,

I've also filed your feedback internally so our team can take a look and track further requests. Thanks for taking the time to share this, and I can definitely see the benefit of introducing Watchtower expiry coverage for other item categories, as well as allowing in-app reminders/notifications, for business settings.

ref: pb-37658060
    ref: pb-37658114