Safari extension seems overly intrusive

Options
sShiloh7
sShiloh7
Community Member
edited January 2 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi. Kept getting a notification about this, so I checked into it further. This seems pretty creepy and without it, 1Password doesn't work, obviously. However, I'm wondering exactly what it means and whether to stay with 1Password. Any help understanding the implications would be very helpful.

Under Permissions:
****Webpage Contents and Browsing History

Can read and alter sensitive information on webpages, including passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards, and see your browsing history on:

Sites listed here, including 1Password

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: Sonoma 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @sShiloh7,

I appreciate you erring on the side of caution when it comes to extensions accessing your browsing data.

Since 1Password for Safari is a “web extension”, it needs user permissions to be able to function within the browser. Our requirement to “allow access to all sites” achieves two things:

• The ability to scan (read) the page HTML to determine if it’s fillable. This also tells us where/when to inject the inline menu.
    • The ability to autofill (write) to the site. While performing an autofill, it effectively changes the HTML. When you submit the autofill, it will allow you to authenticate it properly.

You can find out more about 1Password browser permissions here: About 1Password browser permissions.

I hope this helps!

• sShiloh7
    sShiloh7
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph...

Tnx for your response including the link. I did more research yesterday on my own and think I have a better understanding of the function of permissions and the interaction with certain websites. I revamped my ask/deny/allow to ask for all websites, and when I visit each and have the option, I decide how to answer.

I appreciate that you used your time to answer. Yes, it does help.

Wishing you an excellent day!

• Hey @sShiloh7,

Thank you for getting back to me, you are most welcome.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

Have a great day!