Watchtower isn't showing available passkeys on one device

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot seem to surface passkeys in search.

Comments

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Came here to +1 this as I just came across this issue when I noticed my Mac app doesn't show 'passkeys available for these sites' in Watchtower anymore, despite having the option enabled to check for passkeys in settings. I searched for passkeys in the main search and strangely it did find 2 sites that I have it set up for, but not the rest of them.

The issue with the watchtower is likely due to me resetting my Mac app recently to fix another issue, I can see these items in watchtower of my other devices, just not the Mac. Not a major issue but probably worth noting. But yeah....that search needs to be fixed / added. Thanks

• @Ind3X

Thank you for the +1, I've shared your request with the team.

I can see these items in watchtower of my other devices, just not the Mac.

That doesn't sound right. When you open the 1Password desktop app on your Mac and then click Watchtower do you see a "Passkeys available" section? If you don't then can you make sure that you're viewing your entire account instead of a single collection by clicking on the account selector in the upper right corner of the app and clicking on either your account or "All Accounts" if you have multiple accounts:

-Dave

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P . I only have a single account, so yes, that is selected as it's the only option.

I do not see the 'passkeys available...' card in the main watchtower window as the app does not appear to be finding those sites in my account.

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

And apologies, I didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread with this issue, I just noticed the same problem with the search as the OP when I noticed the watchtower card was missing and was troubleshooting. Feel free to move it into it's own thread.

• @Ind3X

Thank for the reply, I've split your comments into a new thread so that we can focus on this issue separately. ๐Ÿ™‚

Can you please try the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the ๏ฃฟ in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Privacy.
    5. Turn off "Check for passkeys".
    6. Turn on "Check for passkeys".

Do you see the "Passkeys available" section in Watchtower now? If you still don't then can you create a new Login item with the following information:

1. Title: SupportTest
    2. Username: Test
    3. Password: Test
    4. Website address: https://www.google.com

Save the item and then check "Passkeys available", do you see it there? If you do then I'd like you to go back to Watchtower's main window, and click "Show Ignored Alerts" in the bottom right, do you see items that you might have ignored here?

-Dave

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks for separating the threads

I don't have any ignored alerts. I tried your suggestion and can confirm that the SupportTest account doesn't show up under the "Passkeys Available" dropdown section. Nor does the "Passkey available for this site" alert show up on the individual SupportTest item (I can't remember for sure if that used be the case before I had this issue, but I think that used to be the case, or something along those lines?). None of this info shows up in the browser extension version of 1P either - I tried disabling / enabling the setting to show Watchtower alerts in the browser version too, no joy.

These missing prompts in Watchtower only started occurring when I was troubleshooting another issue (browser related) which I managed to fix. Here's what I done during that process (just in case it's useful):

• I uninstalled 1Password, and all other browser extensions.
    • I 'deactivated' 1Password access for this machine from the web interface.
    • I cleared all browser session cookies / history / caches etc.
      • I then setup my browser to use 'profiles'
    • I reactivated the 1Password app on this machine.
    • I reinstalled 1Password browser extension (and all others), and reactivated them as required on my default browser profile - linked ext to main app, etc.
    • Set up new browser profiles as required (1P extension is active on all of them).

The above above steps actually fixed an issue I was having with the 1Password browser extension too (though that was not what I was attempting to fix, initially). I would often get a prompt to sign in with a passkey on a site I was already signed in to, or I would get a prompt to sign in with my passkey but the button on the prompt would be greyed out, so useless, basically. Both of these issues are now resolved and signing in with passkeys works perfectly. Additionally, I am now also able to create new passkeys without issue, whereas it was a bit hit and miss before I done the above steps.

I've just created a new passkey for a site which I know one was available for (which previously showed up as an entry in Watchtower), it created the passkey without any issue and all works fine. However, when searching for 'passkey' in 1Password search, this entry does not show up, though a couple of others do (as per my comment in the original post this thread was split from).

๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Ok...I'm going to rewind a little on the comment "signing in with passkeys works perfectly" in my previous post, above. The passkey I generated this evening worked perfectly at the setup stage but when I went to use it a little later, the prompt wasn't showing up fully (see image). The prompt did fully load (visually) once, but it wasn't functional and the sign in button could not be clicked. However, after restarting my browser (Safari), it works fine on the site and it seems consistent๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ. Might be a bug that needs looking at?

...and I've got away from the main topic, but at least it's not on someone else's post ๐Ÿ˜…. Soz

• @Ind3X

Thanks for the reply and for the detailed description of the troubleshooting that you've done so far.

However, when searching for 'passkey' in 1Password search, this entry does not show up, though a couple of others do (as per my comment in the original post this thread was split from).

Not being able to search for items that contain a saved passkey is a known issue, I've added your report to the existing work item open with our development team.

the prompt wasn't showing up fully (see image). The prompt did fully load (visually) once, but it wasn't functional and the sign in button could not be clicked. However, after restarting my browser (Safari), it works fine on the site and it seems consistent

I'm happy that restarting Safari appears to have resolved the issue, I'll keep an eye out for more reports of this issue so that we can look into it further. If you do see the issue again then please generate a console log while the issue is happening: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Please send in the console log to our support team via email using the instructions below. Don't post it on the forums.

I don't have any ignored alerts. I tried your suggestion and can confirm that the SupportTest account doesn't show up under the "Passkeys Available" dropdown section.

So that I can investigate this issue further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22295

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Done!

Support ID: [#ZTI-55689-681]

I've just done a complete uninstall (including all app remnants) + reinstall of 1password app + extension. It didn't resolve the problem, just FYI.

• paulmir
    paulmir
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    I am also having the same problem. I even tried a beta channel.
    Running on 1Password for Mac 8.10.24 (81024006) and still, Watchtower is not detecting anything under "Passkeys available" category.

• @paulmir

Can you try a complete quit of 1Password and let me know if you see the passkeys section available? I saw another post in passing where the user was able to see them after a full quit. I'd like to check that on your device.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select Quit.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open 1Password and unlock and then check the Watchtower section.
  • mendel
    mendel
    Community Member
    Options

Wanted to add my +1. 1Password for Mac 8.10.22 (81022040) doesn't show any available passkey sites, nothing relevant in my ignored items.

I've tried resetting 1password on my Mac, ag_tommy's restart suggestion above, creating the new Google login (no prompt for passkey on it), and toggling passkeys off and back on in privacy settings.

It does work fine on my iPhone, both in Watchtower and prompting me to use a passkey on the test Google login.

• paulmir
    paulmir
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Passkeys has always been offered via Chrome/Edge extension for me. The problem is that the Watchtower does not detect them despite checking and unchecking the "Check for passkeys" option.

I've done a fresh re-install of all extensions and 1Password and same result. I even tried this on my Windows desktop that has never had 1Password installed and it doesn't work there either.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2023
    Options

@paulmir

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. One of my colleagues will be able to work with you in more detail and troubleshoot, possibly with a diagnostics report. They are not used here in the community for your privacy. In fact I'd recommend adding one to your email to cover the bases.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password Preferences/Settings will open.
    3. Click Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: paulmir
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/702320/#Comment_702320

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    Options

Kester from support got my issue resolved. All tip-top again ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Thanks Kester!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ind3X

I'm happy that Kester was able to help. ๐Ÿ˜Š

-Dave