Unlocking multiple accounts at once using an account password

Options
Dru89
Dru89
Community Member
edited January 9 in Mac

Hello! I'd like to report a potential regression in the app for supporting multiple accounts.

It used to be that when 1password got locked, I could use either password (or TouchID) to unlock the entire vault. At some point, this regressed to where a password would only unlock the vault it was associated with—though TouchID still unlocks both. 1

I understand the logic behind this for security reasons, but it does make things like the quick access menu (accessible by default with "⇧⌘␣" I believe) and the browser extensions a lot less usable, since they won't prompt for the other vault if one is already unlocked. That means that if I have one vault unlocked, but not both, the only way to do that is to go back to the full application, switch over to the locked vault, type in the password, and then go back to the original application.

It would be nice if we could either unlock both vaults with the password (since TouchID still does this, but I don't always have TouchID available) or at least if there was some way to access the other locked vault from the quick access menu or the extension.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.22 (81022040)
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: 14.2 (23C64)
Browser: Chrome 120.0.6099.199

1. It's always been the case that when the vault requires a password—every two weeks or so—that the password would only unlock the vault it's associated with. It's only recently that this was always the case. ↩︎

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Dru89! 👋

Thank you for posting on the community forum! The behaviour that you've described is by design in 1Password 8: when using an account password to unlock the 1Password for Mac app, only the account associated with that account password will unlock. You'll need to unlock each account using its own account password.

Using Touch ID to unlock 1Password allows us to fetch the secrets to decrypt and unlock all of your accounts at once from the Secure Enclave. When you use your account password to unlock the app, the secrets for the other accounts aren't available and so only the account associated with your account password is unlocked.

We have a guide on how to simplify the process so that you can use the same account password to unlock all of your accounts at once: How to use multiple accounts

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave