Deleting items not working

Options
murakamiandcoffee
murakamiandcoffee
Community Member
edited January 9 in Families

This is the second ticket I've created today. Needless to say I am on the latest version of MacOS Sonoma, the latest version of the Mac (non app store) 1Password 8. The latest version of Google Chrome (silicon) and the latest version of the 1Password Chrome app.

Ditto on latest version of 1Password iPhone and all my other devices. I have a family account. Since I have this account and I move a password to 'shared' instead of making a copy it brings it into shared. And when removed from shared it doesn't move it back to my private vault it deletes it.

While restoring my passwords I also noticed that every password I have deleted. Since moving from Dropbox backup to the 'SaaS' model. Is sitting in the 'Recently deleted' folder on 1password.com. Even though I destroyed these 'permanently' or so I thought in the apps I use. And these go back much further than 30 days.

I have another ticket up as well. But needless to say my worst fears are imagined since having 1Password securely linked to my Dropbox but being forced onto the subscription model with a single non secure entry point password versus my Dropbox setup. And things breaking everywhere.

By the way have supported you guys since almost Day 1 back when there was a 'lifetime 1 time purchase' off the Mac app store more than a decade ago. This seems to come with your team going 'enterprise'.

I know I sound pissed but as a day 1 user I keep paying more and more for an app that was once about $5 and things are breaking more than ever.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @murakamiandcoffee! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for being part of 1Password for so many years. πŸ™‚ I'll reply below:

Since I have this account and I move a password to 'shared' instead of making a copy it brings it into shared. And when removed from shared it doesn't move it back to my private vault it deletes it.

This is normal and expected behaviour. Your Private vault and your Shared vault are separate locations. If you'd like to make a copy of an item then, in the 1Password for Mac app, right-click on the item in question and click Duplicate. You'll then be asked which vault to save the duplicate to and you can select the appropriate vault.

Deleting an item from a shared vault does indeed remove it from the shared vault. If you'd like to move it to your Private vault instead then you can choose the Move option in the menu after you right-click on the item.

You can learn more about moving items here: Move or copy items

While restoring my passwords I also noticed that every password I have deleted. Since moving from Dropbox backup to the 'SaaS' model. Is sitting in the 'Recently deleted' folder on 1password.com. Even though I destroyed these 'permanently' or so I thought in the apps I use. And these go back much further than 30 days.

To prevent folks from accidentally destroying items, 1Password will put deleted items into Recently Deleted. This is similar to how deleting items in apps like Apple Notes works. Recently Deleted gives you a chance to recover deleted items if you delete them by mistake.

Deleted items are hidden in the 1Password apps after 30 days, but you can see all your deleted items on 1Password.com. If you'd like to permanently purge an item then first delete it from your vault. Then go to Recently Deleted, right-click on the item in the app, and click Destroy permanently. That item will be purged and you won't be able to view or restore it anymore.

More information about deleting items is here: Archive and delete items

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• murakamiandcoffee
    murakamiandcoffee
    Community Member
    Options

The movement behavior worked as you mentioned. The item only exists in one vault.
    However when I was moving some items back and forth it got buggy. Some of the items duplicated and the different duplicates had different creation and last used dates from each other.

The 'destroy permanently' feature is only working on 1password.com on my desktop browser.
    Every item I 'destroyed permanently' in both my Mac app and iPhone app was still in the 'recently deleted' section of my 1password.com

I had to go back and permanently delete all of those on 1password.com again since they weren't ever deleted

• @murakamiandcoffee

Thanks for the reply. Here's how moving an item between vaults works behind the scenes: 1Password doesn't actually "move" items from one vault to another. When you "move" an item 1Password creates an entirely new duplicate item in the destination vault with the same data as the original item and then it deletes the original item in the source vault (placing it into Recently Deleted).

This is done because each vault in 1Password is encrypted separately using its own private key. This architecture ensures that, if you decide to share a vault, your family member will only have access to that one vault and not any of your other vaults.

It sounds like the duplicates that you're seeing, and the old items in Recently Deleted, are due to you moving items between vaults. Does that sound like it could be the case?

-Dave

• murakamiandcoffee
    murakamiandcoffee
    Community Member
    edited January 5
    Options

Issue partially resolved. Still need to monitor whether items I delete on applications also continue to delete on 1Password.com

The issue of moving items and then they show up in the deleted folder is resolved. When I move an item from my Private to the Shared Vault it also moves a copy of the same password to the Recently Deleted folder. Not sure why it does this. Because it caused confusion thinking 'Permanently Deleting' the item would also permanently delete it from the new location in the Shared vault. I tested this and it does not, however, delete it from the shared folder.

In general I should note that there is confusion and there are redundancies here. For example this is somewhat related but I mentioned on a previous thread that items deleted from i.e. the 1Password iPhone app or the 1Password Mac app. Which are then permanently deleted in that app. Go away from all the different device applications. But are still showing on the 1Password.com site.

• @murakamiandcoffee

When I move an item from my Private to the Shared Vault it also moves a copy of the same password to the Recently Deleted folder. Not sure why it does this.

A move is a copy (new item/new vault) and then a deletion (old item/old vault) event due to how 1Password works internally and the different vaults encryption.

The applications show a limited period of time ~30 days, you can view the deleted items after that period using 1Password.com

πŸ‘€ πŸ’Ύ View and restore previous versions of items

• murakamiandcoffee
    murakamiandcoffee
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Just to confirm. If I delete an item through one of the 1Password applications. Then go to the 'Recently Deleted' and 'Permanently Delete' the item. It will still have an instance on 1Password.com in the 'Recently Deleted' folder on the website. Is this the case?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@murakamiandcoffee

If you permanently destroy an item from Recently Deleted by selecting Destroy permanently then you won't see that item anymore in either the apps or 1Password.com. Permanently destroying an item purges it and recovering that destroyed item is impossible.

-Dave

• murakamiandcoffee
    murakamiandcoffee
    Community Member
    Options

Issue Resolved and please mark as Closed. I'll let you know if I see something come up again. Thanks for the help @Dave_1P

• Dave_1P
    Options

@murakamiandcoffee

It's my pleasure. As requested, I'm closing this thread. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.