Autofill with sudo fails in Terminal.app and iTerm.app

Options
brentward
brentward
Community Member
edited January 6 in Mac

I'm unable to use Universal Autofill to fill a sudo password in either Terminal.app or iTerm.app. I believe it is potentially because my organization is using a policy plugin and I don't see the special password cursor when I run a sudo command. I have given the Privacy & Security Accessibility authorization to 1Password and Terminal and iTerm are both allowed for 1Password in Automation.

Checking the logs I can see this for a test sudo command sudo echo:

INFO  2024-01-06T17:52:12.519 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:167] Nothing to be filled
INFO  2024-01-06T17:52:12.519 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:175] Active app is a terminal; not trying to fill more than once
INFO  2024-01-06T17:52:12.519 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:184] Done filling

However, if I run the command sudo -l I do see the special password cursor and autofill works, getting this in the logs:

INFO  2024-01-06T17:53:21.033 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:158] Filling designations: [current-password]
INFO  2024-01-06T17:53:21.187 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:175] Active app is a terminal; not trying to fill more than once
INFO  2024-01-06T17:53:21.187 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:op-desktop-autofill/src/macos.rs:184] Done filling

Is there any way to resolve this so autofill will recognize sudo in this situation?

sudo info:

❯ sudo -V
Sudo version 1.9.13p2
Avecto policy plugin version: 23.5.1.1
Sudoers policy plugin version 1.9.5p2
Sudoers file grammar version 48

If there is any further info I can share about the sudo configuration please let me know how to collect it.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1
Browser: N/A

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @brentward! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to fill your Mac admin password into the Terminal when using certain sudo commands. You mentioned the following:

I don't see the special password cursor when I run a sudo command

Do you mean that you don't see the key icon which looks like this:

Is it possible to temporarily turn off the policy plug-ins that your organization uses to narrow down the cause of the issue? If it isn't then can you ask your organization's IT department why the password icon (cursor) isn't appearing when you run certain sudo commands? This will likely point us in the right direction.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave