To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Feature Request: Know when subscriptions expire!! 1PW time based alerts!!

Options
xco
xco
Community Member
edited January 3 in Memberships

Need time based alerts. Online services and software are increasingly sold as services, which I record in 1Password. I want to know when each such service is about to expire so that I have the choose as to whether to renew. This is especially important as vendors may change the pricing upon auto renewal, without informing me.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Kyrast
    Kyrast
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Please forgive me if this has come up before.
    I would love to be able to set due dates for certain accounts.
    For example, for trial accounts for streaming websites that I may want to cancel before the trial expires. Many iOS apps also work for free for some time and then automatically subscribe you to ridiculous payment plans if you forget to opt out by a certain date.
    It may even be useful to set up some future dates in 1Password as reminders to login to certain accounts that are not commonly used.
    For example, to check up on things like long term log files, professional registrations and licenses that should be updated and renewed every few years, passport renewal dates (if you keep a scan of it securely stored in case it’s ever needed as a form of ID and for disaster recovery). etc.
    I realize all this information could be stored elsewhere like a calendar, but I think since these dates belong to data that’s in 1Password it would be best for them to reside within 1Password as well. It also shouldn’t negatively impact users who don’t take advantage of the feature since it won’t disrupt the way they use the app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows, Android, iOS
    Browser: Safari, Chrome

• @xco

Have you tired creating the item as a membership type? That might fill the need. That option does have a time based expiry. It would show up within Watchtower. That said, I'd certainly be happy to let the team know this is important to you.

I've also taken to adding a tag like "due 2025" for my tracking recently. Perhaps one of the two will work for you.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 3
    Options

@Kyrast

I've done some merging. Could you review the post above and see if that helps you?

This is how I set a demo item for one of my pets (not his real name) including a custom icon.

• Kyrast
    Kyrast
    Community Member
    Options

I suppose that could work in a pinch. Membership is a very different template from Login and appropriately so. The end result puts a big reminder about the expiration on the entry but that doesn't accomplish quite what I had in mind if you have to go to a certain section of the app ahead of time to see the reminder.
    What I pictured doesn't have to be used for expirations only, but could be for any reason a user may want to be reminded to check up on that entry. It would trigger some kind of notification that would pop up at the time the user chose.
    Apps pop up similar notifications for all kinds of reasons, like a Calendar or Reminders app would notify you when something is due. It's possible to use one of those apps to set the notification instead of doing it in 1Password, but I thought it would be much faster and more appropriate to keep something related to accounts in 1Password than adding a reminder about it in a different app.
    Since 1Password has expirations for Memberships, the code for both would be similar. If the user chose when to be notified, 1Password would show a notification that about a membership's upcoming expiration in the same way as the reminders I have in mind, if it doesn't already.

• Thanks @Kyrast

I'll get this before the team.

ref: PB-37658114