LinkedIn, 1Password, and Mac Safari → one-time passwords no longer work

Options
xco
xco
Community Member
edited January 8 in 1Password in the Browser

I can no longer generate one-time passwords acceptable to LinkedIn across my three different Macs. It's been a problem is since mid to late Dec.

The following error note appears every time: "The verification code you entered isn't valid. Please check the code and try again."

Typing in the pw by hand based on 1Password's generator doesn't solve the problem.

Same problem with Chrome

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.19
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1
Browser: Chrome 120.0.6099.199

Comments

• Hello @xco! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not able to save your one-time password for LinkedIn. I just tested this and was able to save and use the one-time password without issue. Can you try again by saving the secret key provided by LinkedIn in a new one-time password field using the 1Password for Mac app and this guide: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If that still doesn't work then is it possible that your device's time settings may be off? It’s important that your device’s time isn’t more than 30 seconds off. The authentication code changes every 30 seconds, so if your device is more than 30 seconds off, you’ll see an incorrect code.

To check the date and time settings on all your devices, visit this website on each of your devices and make sure the time matches:

If the date and time on a device doesn’t match, you can adjust it: Set the date and time automatically on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Let me know how that goes.

-Dave

• xco
    xco
    Community Member
    Options

I have two LinkedIn accounts. Same problem with both.

To resolve in both, I deleted the one-time password in one account, and re-setup the one-time password anew from scratch. Low and behold, the one-time password now worked for both accounts!

Of note, I reset the one-time password in one account only. Yet both accounts, which are entirely separate, now worked properly in 1Password.

• @xco

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify: do you mean that the same one-time password, generated from the same secret code from LinkedIn, now works to authenticate both accounts?

Or do you mean that both of the separate one-time passwords for each account are now working?

-Dave

• xco
    xco
    Community Member
    Options

Two accounts, entirely separate: different user, password and one-time password.

Yes, resolving the issue for one resolved it for both!

• Interesting. 🤔

I'll keep an eye out for further reports of that behaviour so that we can look into it further. I'm happy that things are working for you now.

-Dave