Trouble saving and using a passkey for Amazon

Options
WilburPost
WilburPost
Community Member
edited January 11 in iOS

I've been a happy user of 1Password for several years. I have an existing Amazon account and I recently added the Amazon app to my iPhone. While signing into Amazon via 1Password, 1Password asked if I wanted to create a Passkey. Sure, I thought, why not. I had no idea what Passkey was, but the promise was more convenience. Problem was, once added I couldn't get Passkey to work with my Amazon account. No problem, I thought, I'll just log in with my existing password. Guess what? 1Password no long held my Amazon password; in its place was the word "Passkey," and that wasn't working. In order to dump the Passkey and restore my Amazon password, I had to dig through my records elsewhere in order to track down the password (fortunately I had a copy of it stored outside of 1Password).

Did I miss something? Appears by my opting for Passkey, 1Password deleted my Amazon password across all my devices with no option to retrieve it. Why in the world would 1Password do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @WilburPost! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble when saving a passkey for your Amazon account in 1Password. The behaviour that you've described certainly isn't intended and doesn't sound normal and I'd like to investigate this to figure out what might have gone wrong.

Passkeys are a modern alternative to passwords – they enable people to log in to their online accounts without having to enter a password. Passkeys are more secure than passwords, and help protect you from threats such as phishing.

When you save a passkey using 1Password for iOS you get two options:

• Create new item for Amazon.com
    • Update existing item

By default, if you've already saved your password for Amazon in 1Password, "Update existing item" will be selected and the passkey will be added to your Login item. Your existing password will not be removed.

So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. If you search for Amazon using the 1Password for iOS app, do you see an item that contains your password? Or do you see multiple items for Amazon?
    2. Can you find your password in a previous version of your Login item for Amazon: View and restore previous versions of items

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

Per: "if you've already saved your password for Amazon in 1Password, 'Update existing item' will be selected and the passkey will be added to your Login item. Your existing password will not be removed."

When I created the Amazon passkey, my existing password was no longer visible, nor available that I could see. In it's place was the word, "Passkey."

I have only a single entry for Amazon.

I apparently have no previous versions of my Amazon password within 1Password because there's nothing in my 1Password Vault. Apparently Vaults need to be created manually?

Should this happen again, does 1Password archive previous login versions?

Thanks again.

• @WilburPost

The password should remain. This is how mine looks. Even though there is generally no need to blur the totp field, I did so folks don't think it's valid. Can you clarify if you saw the word passkey like in my screenshot or if you saw the word passkey in the password field itself. Sorry for asking again. I want to ensure I'm following you correctly.

You can check for previous versions here:

👀 💾 View and restore previous versions of items

Every membership has a Private vault that would not need to be created. Do you see the Private vault?

• WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Per your screenshot, while I saw the passkey entry for my Amazon account, there was no password field like you show (that was the first thing I looked for). This was using 1Password for iOS 17.2.1.

Thank you for the tip regarding restoring previous versions of items. Yes, in 1Password for Windows 11 I can see previous versions; that could be very helpful!

Regarding the Private vault, I have a vault, but it's empty?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 13
    Options

@WilburPost

Personal is largely seen for folks using a Family membership. It's what I see in my view. Apologies, I did not catch which one you were using. I should have said Private/Personal but event that can sometimes cause confusion.

As to the vault being empty that would seemingly indicate that the items are not saved within 1Password (membership vault). Off-hand I'd say you most likely have the data being saved to some other manager or there is even a possibility for different accounts in use. I'd suggest looking at the accounts on each device and ensuring that they are the same. Do you happen to see a Primary vault on any device?

• @WilburPost

Does all of your data appear on 1Password.com?

• Please remember this is a public community and do not post sensitive information.
  • WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    edited January 13
    Options

So far as I can tell, it's all the same 1Password across all of my devices (PCs and iOS devices). When I update one, it updates all the others, i.e., I don't have any additional 1Password accounts or password managers.

I don't see anything that says "vault" on my iPhone, and my iPad display looks very similar to what I see on Windows 11.

• WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    edited January 13
    Options

When I log into 1Password.com I see "Vaults" and underneath that, "Personal." When I open Personal I see what appears to be the same entries as on all of my other devices.

• @WilburPost

It might be best to get you into email support where we can gather diagnostics reports from the devices and look for any troubles. I'd start by sending a report from the device where the vault is empty. At a minimum we'll be able to have a direct conversation where you can send screenshots and reports and it's not public as this community is. I apologize for the need. I think there is something off here and I just can't put my finger on it.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Tap your 1Password account icon from the 1Password home screen.
    3. Tap Settings.
    4. Tap Help.
    5. Tap Send Diagnostics.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: WilburPost
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/143997/trouble-saving-and-using-a-passkey-for-amazon#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    edited January 13
    Options

UPDATE: After poking around I found a Send Diagnostics button under Settings > Advanced. I sent the file you requested; am awaiting automated reply from BitBot assistant.

When I open Settings, there's no entry called "Help." There is however a help icon on the upper right, but again nothing about sending diagnostics?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 13
    Options

@WilburPost

The Help section would be on the mobile app. You had posted in the iOS section. If you're working from a desktop application such as Windows this would be the steps to send the report.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press Command and comma. (Control and comma on Windows)The 1Password Preferences/Settings will open.
    3. Click Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal (Open file location on Windows) to locate the report.
  • WilburPost
    WilburPost
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the support ID: [#GUG-39548-637]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The initial problem occurred while I was using my iPhone, but I'm working from Windows 11 now. Thank you again for your help. :)

• No worries at all. As long as we get to the same place and find you a resolution that's all that matters. :)