Unlock with passkey - verification code

Options
9elsen
9elsen
Community Member
edited January 15 in Unlock with passkeys

Have tried the public beta of "unlock with passkey", it is not as easy as I had hoped.

The step with the verification code is quite clunky, with screens suddenly taking focus on the PC, and have also had no code ever recieved. First I am not sure why this step is needed, but if needed why could it not be a step that is handled via the mobile app with e.g. a swipe?

I hope that Beta means feature complete only, and that the experience can still change?

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: 2.18.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome/Edge

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @9elsen! 👋

Thank you for helping us test passkey unlock in the beta. Can you tell me a little more about the issue that you ran into? Where were you adding your 1Password to? To the app on your Windows PC? To the browser extension? Or to another device?

And was your phone the only trusted device (app where you're already signed into your 1Password account) that you had at that time? If you try to add your account again then do you run into the same issue?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited January 9
    Options

The phone was trusted, as well as a browser on my PC.
    I signed in on my PC in a browser in incognito/private mode.
    The push message came in the browser on the pc one time and on the phone another time, and then also required a code to be typed - quite confusing. I presume the code is needed, so that people do not just approve any random request without thinking twice?

How about prioritizing the phone for approval, and then require that the 1password app is opened and in focus before the push is recieved. That way you require the person to be aware that a push is coming, and you could remove the need to also type a code. I have seen this done in another setup.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 10
    Options

@9elsen

Thank you for the feedback. I've passed along your suggestions to the team. That being said, it seems like only sending a notification to a certain device is a bit of a step back in usability. Right now, the intention is that all trusted device receive the notification so that you can approve the sign in from any of your trusted devices. Once you approve the sign in on one device, the notification disappears from the other devices.

For the browser: did you have 1Password.com open when you didn't receive the notification there? If you see the missing notification issue on your phone happen again in the future then can you please note the following so that we can investigate further:

• The device model and version of 1Password on your phone.
    • The time when you tried to login to your 1Password account.

I'd also like to request logs the next time that the issue occurs:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: PB-37748028

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    Options

Sending the notification to a phone at least makes it easy to know where to look, and the phone has been the natural place to look for e.g. codes sent via SMS for many years.
    This message and approach is confusing in my opinion:
    "Look for a request on any trusted device or browser where you've already signed in to 1Password with a passkey."
    I still hope that this will improve, as I did see this as "the most important feature" and the last thing missing for the less tech shawy members of my family.

I will try to provide the information you request.

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    Options

Please find the reference here @Dave_1P [#DVZ-76977-745]

• @9elsen

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I see that my colleague has already sent you an reply via email, please continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: DVZ-76977-745

This discussion has been closed.