Feature Request: Generate password, toolbar short-cut

Options
HenkeDenk
HenkeDenk
Community Member
edited January 3 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, It would really be useful just to right click the icon in toolbar and select generate password and have it automatically copied into the clipboard instead of start the application, select new password, generate password, copy it and the finally exit out of dialogue without saving.

An extra bonus would be if the password could be generated according to user preferences.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @HenkeDenk! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! Can you tell me a little more about your request? If you use 1Password to generate a password then wouldn't you want to save that password in 1Password? The current process, where you open the app and create and save a new item that contains your generated password ensures that you'll have access to that password going forward.

Alternatively, if you need the password for a website, you can use 1Password in the browser which suggests a password right on the page and saves it to 1Password:

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• et01267
    et01267
    Community Member
    Options

Because 1password "Use Suggested Password" actually only works in about 1% of the situations. If you have a password popup, or some field that is not recognized as a password field, or whatever, then it doesn't work. If you are in the middle of Save Item INSIDE 1PASSWORD you cannot generate a new password.

Just trust us, there are a million reasons why there should be a way to create a password regardless of context. Just do it -- I'm a sw product manager and scrum master, and I recognize dev recalcitrance when I see it. Just do it.

• Hey @et01267,

If the suggested password doesn't meet the requirements of the website you are on you can generate a password from within the password generator, here's how:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and unlock 1Password
    2. Click on the round Settings menu next to the search bar
    3. Choose 'Password Generator'

Let us know if you have any further suggestions and I'd be happy to pass your feedback on to the team.