Can I use both 1Password and Apple iCloud Keychain to create / save passkeys for the same website?

Options
sweejin
sweejin
Community Member
edited January 20 in 1Password in the Browser

For the first time, a website, Amazon, is prompting me to create / save a passkey to my password manager. I’m using Safari on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, and the page shows me two options: to save to 1Password or iCloud Keychain. Can I save it to 1Password first, and then later copy the passkey to iCloud Keychain? I like to keep my passwords in both 1Password and iCloud Keychain, as that’s how I’m used to manage my passwords.

Or is that NOT how passkeys work? They’re not like passwords? Do I have to recreate a separate passkey if I want to save it in iCloud Keychain as well?

Thanks for your advice.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi @sweejin - Thanks for your question. It's not currently possible to move passkeys between 1Password and iCloud Keychain.

We wouldn't generally recommend using iCloud Keychain alongside 1Password as it can lead to confusion and will mean that you have two sets of credentials to manage and maintain. That being said, most websites will allow you to save multiple passkeys for the same account, so it should be possible to save one passkey in 1Password and another separate passkey in iCloud Keychain.