Copying TOTP to clipboard when logging in

Options
hazmat
hazmat
Community Member

How do I automatically copy the TOTP to the clipboard in 1Password 8 like I did in 1Password 7?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 17
    Options

Hello @hazmat! 👋

My apologies, I see that you've posted in the Mac category and not iOS. Please disregard the previous post which I've removed since it included instructions for 1Password for iOS.

Can you tell me a little more about why you'd like to have the one-time password automatically copied to the clipboard on the Mac? Both 1Password in the browser and Universal Autofill will fill the one-time password for you without you having to copy and paste it into an app or website:

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, thanks. I was going to say I wasn't finding those settings. I think automatically submitting the login is too dangerous. Sometimes it takes some manual intervention for logging in, so automatically submitting the login will cause an error. I never had that enabled in 1Password 7.

Incidentally, I did try what you said to confirm that, but when logging into Reddit, once I got to the 2FA prompt, nothing got filled in and it just stopped there.

• @hazmat

Thanks for the reply. When using Universal Autofill you can turn off automatic submission:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Scroll down and turn off "Submit automatically with Universal Autofill".

Incidentally, I did try what you said to confirm that, but when logging into Reddit, once I got to the 2FA prompt, nothing got filled in and it just stopped there.

Just to clarify so that I can try to reproduce the issue: did you try filling the TOTP using Universal Autofill or the browser extension? And are you using reddit.com or old.reddit.com?

-Dave

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    edited January 18
    Options

When using Universal Autofill you can turn off automatic submission:

Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    Click Settings.
    Scroll down and turn off "Submit automatically with Universal Autofill".

Right, but then we go back to my initial need for the TOTP to be automatically copied to the clipboard like in 1Password 7.

Just to clarify so that I can try to reproduce the issue: did you try filling the TOTP using Universal Autofill or the browser extension? And are you using reddit.com or old.reddit.com?

That's a very good question. I find all the moving parts of 1Password 8 very confusing. All I know is I hit ⌘\ to fill in the login. And it's reddit.com.

• @hazmat

Thank you for the reply. I've been able to reproduce the same issue on Reddit.com and have added your report to an internal work item that our developers have open.

I've also filed a feature request on your behalf to include an option to copy the TOTP to the clipboard when a login is filled into a website or app.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24532
    ref: PB-37871635

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave. It's definitely a concern to me that there are all these continuing usability issues in 1Password 8, where 1Password 7 just hums along. I still use 7 on my production machines. My plan is to see what 1Password 9 looks like.

• Thanks again for reporting the issue and for providing your feedback. 1Password 8 is continually being worked on and improved and your reports help make 1Password better for everyone. 💙

-Dave