Encrypted Export 1pex

Options
Finke03
Finke03
Community Member

Hi,

I‘m using 1PW Familie account and I‘m asking myself what will be happen in case that there will be some data loss e.g. on your servers?
I know everything is secure and encrypted on your servers, but in worst case the encrypted vaults of users could be wiped out on your servers.

In that case it would make sense to be able to somehow restore the data within an empty 1PW account.
I saw in the forum that there’s were some plans already in 2021 to implement some encrypted export format „1pex“ which could be used to have a secure exported file, which could be imported again to 1PW account if needed.
Is that feature already available?
If not, what would you recommend?

Regards
Finke

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 22
    Options

Hello @Finke03! 👋

Thank for the question! An encrypted export isn't currently available in the 1Password app but I've let the team know that you'd love to see such an option.

I know everything is secure and encrypted on your servers, but in worst case the encrypted vaults of users could be wiped out on your servers.

Even if our servers were to go missing tomorrow, all of your items are available in the 1Password app on your local devices. The 1Password app creates an offline cache which remains accessible to you even if our servers can't be reached.

Beyond that scenario, there is no need to backup your vault since your data is always backed up to your 1Password account in the cloud. If you accidentally delete an item you can always restore it from your 1Password account on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Your encrypted data is replicated to redundant copies on our end to guard against any data loss.

-Dave

ref: PB-37910455

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P ,

thanks for reply.
    I think you know your infrastructure better than me, but I have scenarios in mind like vault data will be wiped out on your servers and due to that also the local cached data will be synced with the empty server vault and overwritten. Not sure if this is possible or if on server side everything is a closed and encrypted data blob which can not cause such kind of “overwrite scenario” by deletion of it due to a security breach?!

Yesterday I decided for me to export my data via the unencrypted 1pux format and store it on an encrypted usb stick together with my local emergency kit. Of course I totally trust in your infrastructure, but with this approach I feel more safe.

Of course the 1pex format would be easier to handle , but it should make no difference to an encrypted usb stick.

One last question about item history: Is it possible to perform the restore for each field / complete item or only for the password field? If I remember correctly I only saw within the app the possibility to restore password history.

Regards
    Finke

• @Finke03

Thanks for sharing your backup strategy. 🙂

One last question about item history: Is it possible to perform the restore for each field / complete item or only for the password field? If I remember correctly I only saw within the app the possibility to restore password history.

While you can only view your password history in the apps, you can use 1Password.com to view and restore previous versions of entire items:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Open the vault that contains the item you want to restore to a previous version.
    3. Select the item, then click View Item History
    4. Click View next to one of the entries to see the contents of that version of the item.
    5. Click Restore.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

thanks for clarification, I was not aware of that. 👍
    I guess the same is working on 1Password.eu?!

• @Finke03

That's correct, the same instructions apply and you just need to login to the .EU version rather than the .COM if that's where your membership is. 🙂

-Dave