Feedback about 1Password 8's search in a business setting

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Search not working as expected.

Comments

• koelsh
    koelsh
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P The correct item is rarely in the dropdown and basically never the first item. (I'm trying to keep this short while still giving context and specificity, sorry for the long post)

I can see where the current approach works for people who only have a few dozen items and one or two passwords per site... my database has both personal and work items totaling 1727 items today and growing.

My boss has assigned me to manage the passwords for various systems for most employees in our company of 20+ people. This means lots of entries for the same site and some employees will have 15+ items to themselves. Say I search for the employee "Ashley" the first item in the dropdown is a login that hasn't been touched since 2018. I modified multiple accounts under her name just yesterday and none of them appear in "most relevant". Not that that would be useful if they were because I generally need to see all items relating to her account at the same time and have to press extra keys to "show all matching items"

On the rare occasion that what I'm searching for is the top result and I press enter it shows that item in a sea of other items with the current sorting context; title, date created, date modified, frequently used, recently used. It's not shown alongside items related to the search term. I have to press cmd+enter to get a proper search.
    Here's an analogy.

• Go to your favorite internet search engine and enter "1Password", then press enter and only enter, what do you get? An entire page of links strictly about 1Password.
    • You don't get a link about 1Password sandwiched between an article about whales and a review of disappointing charcoal briquets.

Just as I bolded before 1Password is a database and 1P8's desktop search is acting more like a "find" in a spreadsheet or text document.

Look at 1P8 on iPhone and iPad. Search works perfectly there. It's returning results from a database.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@koelsh

Thank you for the detailed response! I've split your comment into a new thread in our business category so that the business support team sees your feedback as well.

I had a chance to speak with the relevant team this week and I brought up the feedback that you and others have been sharing here on the community. The team is deeply appreciative and confirm that improving and iterating on the search experience in 1Password 8, in response to feedback from folks such as yourself, is an active item of discussion and focus internally.

My boss has assigned me to manage the passwords for various systems for most employees in our company of 20+ people. This means lots of entries for the same site and some employees will have 15+ items to themselves. Say I search for the employee "Ashley" the first item in the dropdown is a login that hasn't been touched since 2018. I modified multiple accounts under her name just yesterday and none of them appear in "most relevant". Not that that would be useful if they were because I generally need to see all items relating to her account at the same time and have to press extra keys to "show all matching items"

This is an interesting use case. Does your organization keep a duplicate copy of all user logins in a separate vault? Or do you have your employees work from shared vaults that both they and you have access to? I might be wrong, and I'm not on the business support team myself, but my understanding is that usually only an employee would have access to their password and the IT team would manage logins using other tools. If you have more time, I'd love to learn more about how things are setup at your organization.

-Dave

ref: PB-35694836

• koelsh
    koelsh
    Community Member
    Options

This is an interesting use case. Does your organization keep a duplicate copy of all user logins in a separate vault? Or do you have your employees work from shared vaults that both they and you have access to? I might be wrong, and I'm not on the business support team myself, but my understanding is that usually only an employee would have access to their password and the IT team would manage logins using other tools. If you have more time, I'd love to learn more about how things are setup at your organization.

I'm the only person in our company who actively uses 1Password and haven't been able to build interest in using an external manager; most use what's built into the browser. We did try years ago but when employees and the boss would encounter issues they'd quietly stop using 1Password. We did end up with duplicates in separate vaults but that was mostly me keeping backups.

I'm handling the rest of the companies passwords as some systems like our email are easier to declare one than to have them do a reset. It also lets me softly enforce strong passwords over them using the same thing everywhere as none of them used the generator anyway.

The boss wants it operated this way so that user accounts are ready to go instead of them spending time setting up and it means he can message me for what a password is basically any time.

• koelsh
    koelsh
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P So a followup on this. I understand why this was moved to the business section of the forum however this issue comes from the databases I'm using daring to have more than one result for any given search.

It's still the case that the default behavior when pressing enter alone merely jumps to the universally incorrect first item when searching in the desktop version.

It's still the case that I have to press CMD + Enter to get the correct search behavior in the desktop version of 1Password.

It's still the case that 1Password for iPad uses the correct search behavior.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 22
    Options

@koelsh

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I'm sorry for the delay in responding. 1Password for Mac recently introduced a change in how search works and pressing enter now opens "Show all matching results". You can then look through the total list of results for a search term.

Can you make sure that you're running 8.10.23: How to keep 1Password up to date

Let me know if this new behaviour helps. 🙂

-Dave

• koelsh
    koelsh
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Yes I'm running 8.10.23 Production. Curiously it had the old behavior but force quit and it adopted the new behavior.

Thank you!

• @koelsh

I'm happy that a restart got things working properly! 🙂

-Dave