Can't use 1password in iOS in-app browser login popups

Options
andrewmondy
andrewmondy
Community Member

I have recently noticed that any iOS app on my iPhone that uses an "in-app browser" pop up (usually needed for social sign-in) has no integration with 1password. For example, if I open "Zoom" and click to sign in, I can use my username and password, but if I click "Sign in with Google" it will pop up a browser window and prompt me to sign in with my Google account (as expected). On this pop up window, though, there is no 1password icon and no ability to get to it. I have to leave the app, open 1password's app and copy and paste my password to get through the process.

This is not only Zoom, all apps are now doing this. This has not always been the case; for years I've been able to fill my password directly from social login pages, even within other apps.

Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @andrewmondy! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to fill logins into in-app browser pop-ups. I just downloaded the Zoom app and tried to login using my Google account and AutoFill worked for me. Can you please try the following steps to make sure that iOS AutoFill is working correctly:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Deselect 1Password.
    5. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again by tapping on the password field in the in-app browser and then tapping on the AutoFill prompt above your keyboard. Let me know how that goes.

-Dave

• andrewmondy
    andrewmondy
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried to deselect and select 1Password as directed. I also turned off AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys and turned it back on. I also quit and reopened Zoom in between steps just to be sure.

When I get to the Google password page, after I tap on the password entry field, it shows AutoFill, if I tap AutoFill then it shows Password and when I tap on that, my FaceID verifies and then this screen appears for 1 second, and then it disappears before I can search for anything. And it does not detect that I'm on a Google site and present me with my Google password first (as it used to).

• @andrewmondy

Thanks for the reply. Are you tapping on the "Passwords" prompt above your keyboard or the AutoFill fill that appears when you double-tap on the password field on the website itself?

Double-tapping on the password field and then tapping AutoFill brings up the iCloud Keychain password manager, not 1Password.

Can you tell me what you see above your keyboard when you single-tap on the password field on the login page? Do you see a login suggestion, a "Passwords" prompt, or a key icon?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24225

• andrewmondy
    andrewmondy
    Community Member
    edited January 23
    Options

There is nothing above the keyboard. I can't screen capture the keyboard; it disappears. But it says Done. The usual Passwords text doesn't appear in the in-app browser windows like it does in Safari.

• @andrewmondy

I'm sorry that you're not seeing the AutoFill prompt above the keyboard. Because this prompt is generated by iOS itself, not 1Password, there isn't anything that we can do to get it to appear. I would recommend reaching out to Apple to have them investigate why iOS isn't rendering the AutoFill prompt above the keyboard in the apps in question: Official Apple Support

Since I see the AutoFill prompt above the keyboard when I login to Zoom on my iPhone, it's possible that Apple can help you identify a setting that might get it to appear on your iPhone as well. For the time being, copying and pasting your login credentials from 1Password is the best option to workaround the issue.

Please let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave