Fidelity Investments login issue

Options
Tangible409
Tangible409
Community Member
edited January 25 in iOS

Fidelity’s enhanced security uses Symantec VIP’s system, which is incompatible with the standard protocols supported by 1PW. So I need to type a six digit code generated by the VIP app.

Unfortunately, 1PW actually makes this **harder*** by inappropriately offering up the passwords for my Fidelity accounts as obscuring popups when the site is prompting for the VIP code. Is there any way to get 1PW to recognize that this is not a password field, and to just ignore it?

This problem occurs mostly on iPad Safari.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IpadOS 17
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @Tangible409! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password is getting in the way when you're typing in your one-time password from Symantec VIP. So that I can report the issue to our development team can you please post the following:

1. The website address of the page where you're running into the issue.
    2. A screenshot of the 1Password prompt obscuring the relevant field on the page.

Do not post your username or password or any other sensitive information. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    Options

Here’s the screenshot. There’s a checkbox obscured by the 1PW pop ups. But the important point is that this is not a password field, and 1pw has nothing to contribute, so they shouldn’t be there at all.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 24
    Options

@Tangible

Try turning off the following setting. It will be global for all sites, but this is my preferred method to deal with it. Let me know what you think. Once disabled you'll need to click/tap on the icon to show suggestions.

Mac:

1. Right-click on the 1Password toolbar icon.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select Autofill.
    4. Disable Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus.

Mobile

Largely the same as above.

iOS:
    1. Tap the aA in the URL bar.
    2. Tap 1Password and unlock if needed.

iPadOS:
    1. On the iPad tap the 1Password icon in the URL bar.
    2. Unlock if needed.

--

1. Tap the hamburger menu.
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Slide to turn off Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus.
  • Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy , but I really like having that feature when it correctly recognizes a user id or password field. So I don’t want to kill it globally.

I’m hoping the 1pw folks can fix it just for Fidelity.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 24
    Options

@Tangible409

Thanks for the reply. I've looked into this and it looks like originally 1Password wouldn't show suggestions for the security code field on Fidelity.com since the website doesn't use time-based one-time passwords (TOTP - the standard that 1Password supports) but instead uses Symantec VIP which is a propriety standard.

What appears to have happened in this case is that a customer seems to have managed to generate a time-based one-time password (TOTP) from the Symantec VIP Access Token, saved the one-time passcode in 1Password, and then reported that 1Password in the browser wasn't filling that one-time password on the Fidelity website. We then pushed an update to allow that customer to fill their one-time password.

However, I'm not aware of the method used by the customer to generate the TOTP in the first place. Since Fidelity.com doesn't natively support TOTP, and 1Password can't save Symantec VIP access codes, I agree that the suggestion on the page is confusing.

I'll file an issue with our development team so that they can revisit this, can you please send me the page structure so that I can send it to our team:

1. Navigate to the page with the filling issue.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    3. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    4. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.

Note: These steps have to be done from a Mac or Windows PC, they can't be done from an iPad or iPhone.

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#11128

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    edited January 25
    Options

[comment deleted]

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    Options

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#VEE-86794-976]

• @Tangible409

Thank you for posting the Support ID! One of my colleagues will reach out to you soon via email. To prevent duplication of effort, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: VEE-86794-976

This discussion has been closed.