To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Incredibly confusing setup process.

Options
ghulse
ghulse
Community Member
edited January 25 in Memberships

My wife and I own a small business and have 1 employee. So all together we have three Macs to set up. I installed 1Password on my Mac and hit a brick wall almost from the very start. The installation asks if i want to import passwords from another password manager that I've never heard of. I've never used a password manager before, except of course FileVault which is built into the Mac OS. And, yet, nowhere is it explained to me how I'm supposed to get passwords from more than 100 web sites stored in FileVault. A Google search wasn't very helpful either. I thought 1Password would just start adding passwords automatically when I went to a web site and allowed FileVault to fill in the password, but when I tested this out, nothing happened in 1Password. I also wondered if I need to keep the 1Password app open all the time. This is also not clear. Like I said, a brick wall. Is there a user's guide somewhere for a Mac user just getting started?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @ghulse

The import portion you've described was due to a large influx of users after the other manager had a wee bit of trouble, and folks wanted another solution. If the import does not apply to your situation, there should be a skip button. Please use it to continue. I'm sorry for any confusion.

I would recommend talking with our team via email, and they can better assist you with importing suggestions. We have folks who specialize in that process. The following link may also be helpful. I believe you might be looking for the Safari section.

Move your data from other applications to 1Password

If you'd like to email us, use support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. One of the folks specializing in imports would be willing to assist you.

You can also find most help topics using 1Password Support

• ghulse
    ghulse
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I have since deleted 1Password from my computer because it was the easiest thing to do. If I'm going to try it again at some point, I'd like to have a better understanding of how the app works. For example, once I have imported my usernames and passwords into 1Password, will it automatically fill in these fields when I go to a web site (the way FileVault does)? Do I need to keep 1Password app open when I'm using my computer?

• @ghulse

You may be interested in looking at our 1Password University.

Introducing 1Password University

1Password University

1Password does not autofill without your taking action. But, yes, it can autofill for you. Most folks use 1Password in the browser for this. If you're not actively using 1Password, you can lock it, thus securing your passwords from any prying eyes.