“JIT” organizer / recovery group member

Options
patrimal
patrimal
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Families

I understand that 1password recommends that in a family account there are are least two organizers or members with recovery permissions. I don’t feel comfortable doing that (I fully trust them as human beings but I don’t trust their ability to protect their accounts), so I would like to propose this:

I add other family members as organizers, but set a flag on them for “delayed elevation”. When they need to use these permissions, they initiate a request and the other organizers (me in this case) get bombarded with notifications for a couple of days. If I don’t agree, I can simply remove their permissions. If I don’t act, they get their elevated permissions a couple of days later. I believe this would also address the concern (which I also have) of family members being able to access critical passwords in an unfortunate event.

Are there any drawbacks to this that I am missing (other than it would need to get implemented :))?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @patrimal,

Thanks for your request and feedback about a delayed elevation flag for family organizers. I'm sorry this message was missed.

While I can't make any promises, I've passed your request along to the Product team for consideration. We're always interested in learning from our customers where improvements can be made to enhance the 1Password user experience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: PB 37942057

• Powl49
    Powl49
    Community Member
    edited January 27
    Options

I am also concerned about the level of control family organizers have over my 1Password account. While I appreciate their ability to help with account access, I worry that they could accidentally or intentionally delete all the data in the family vault. This is especially concerning in the event that someone's account is hacked. I would like to see 1Password offer a solution that allows for more limited rights for family organizers to prevent accidental or malicious deletion of data.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 30
    Options

@Powl49

You are correct that there has to be some level of trust the way things are presently. I can make an feature request on your behalf for some additional thought to go into this. Perhaps the team can make some of the changes in the future. At present the best method might be to have an independent membership. Though with that you lose some features such as account recovery. Thanks for sharing. I'll make sure the team knows this is something you'd like to see improvement on. We appreciate your feedback.

ref: PB-38042103