Pre-purchase question regarding passwords for 1P itself

Options
crowslivebig
crowslivebig
Community Member

I am considering getting a family plan for my family of two and I want to be careful about creating the associated passwords for 1Password itself; however, I am unsure how many passwords we will need. I will be the family manager so I will set up the account with a password and, as I understand it, that will create a personal and shared vault. I'll call that the main account. I will invite my husband and he will have his own personal and shared vault with his own password. Should I create a personal account with its own password and two vaults for myself? Let's say that I use the main account as my own personal account and store the Netflix password in its shared vault. I assume that I then invite my husband to the main shared vault.

But if there were a third person, could I share only some of the things with them? Would that require yet another vault? Can I control the strength of the password that other family members use so that their weak 1P password doesn't compromise shared passwords? Is it be permissible for me to share my account with someone who doesn't live with me?

I'm sure this will become clear if I use the program but I want to choose long, complex, memorable passwords and that takes some effort. Any advice will be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 27
    Options

@crowslivebig

By default, in a family plan, the shared vault is shared among all family members. If you only want to share some passwords with some individuals, you'd go about creating a new share between just you and your husband. The third person you describe would be able to access any data in the default shared vault. The way I think about it is the default "shared" = account-wide. I'd recommend creating an additional vault for just the two of you and placing the items there instead of the shared vault. This would prevent the other individual from having access. You would need to invite your husband to the newly created vault. I typically name special shares like "Tom and [insert name]" Just to ensure I keep things straight in my head.

Families can live anywhere. Yes, go ahead and share with them, even if they're halfway around the world.

Educating the family members is best. Also, memberships require account passwords with a minimum of 10 characters. Beyond that it's recommend to use longer password just as you describe. Let 1Password do the work for you. I've had a few password that were 50 or more characters long. Right now most of mine are the higher 20's unless a site forces me to use something shorter. Then I'm sure to complain to them about such short passwords.

Keep any question coming. We're here to help.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

In addition to what ag_tommy wrote:
    Every member of a family account has its own account with its own account password and secret key. If you invite someone into that family account, you're actually creating a new account for that person that is linked to the family account.

The person who creates the family account gets a completely ordinary account with the only exception that this account has the family organizer role, which enables it to issue invitations and the ability to set permissions on every vault. This role can be changed freely. Any account can be given family organizer or removed from family organizer. And no need to create another member-only account for the family organizer. This will only create confusion.

• Great assist @Tertius3 (as always :) )

• crowslivebig
    crowslivebig
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both! This is just the information I needed! One follow-up question: approximately how often will we need to type in our 1P passwords? Once passwords are set up in 1P, is the frequency any different than how it is now? Like @ag_tommy, I like to keep my passwords long whenever possible. Since the passwords to our 1P vaults are so critical, I want to make them long but not too onerous to type if they will be needed frequently. I am considering emphasizing length over special characters and lots of mixed capitalizations. Any thoughts on this?

We are fairly ordinary users of tech and have PCs, iPads, iPhones, a Chrome book, and lots of streaming services. I’m used to using complicated passwords but would like to have something easier for my husband, particularly if he will have to enter it very often. I wish the minimum allowed was higher than 10 characters. That seems awfully short these days. My husband will comply but I’m a bit leery to share a vault with a pet sitter, for example.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 23
    Options

You and I agree on the length portion. 10 is the minimum. My account password changed to a word-based one created using our password generator and several words in length over the last few years. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to remember. I treated it like the abc's in elementary school. Yep, I sing it. Thank god no
    one can hear me singing it internally. 😂 Typically, I always keep my password between 25 and 35 characters. I've had about four 1Password passwords over the last 16 years.

Tell him this guy has done pet sitting. You just have to find the right one. Hopefully, you all have a good one. Those days are behind me now. Too little free time. It's funny we're on that subject. This morning, I received a text message asking me to come back out of the blue to the sitter platform. I digress. You've got me on two of my favorite subjects, pets and 1Password. Now, back to the message. Sharing with a sitter is easy. Especially if they use 1Password, too. You can also use the following. Psst! Now you can securely share 1Password items with anyone

You can get too complicated. Don't overthink it. This may be helpful, too. How to choose a good 1Password account password

My best advice, and it is part of the article above, is to write it down till you remember it. Even then, the mind is a weird thing. After having the same password for nearly a decade, I woke up one morning and couldn't recall it to save my life. I retrieved my Emergency Kit, and I was back in business admonishing myself for being silly and not recalling it.

• crowslivebig
    crowslivebig
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_tommy! The articles you linked are helpful. Yep, no one deserves to hear me sing, either. And I know just what you mean about using a password for a decade and having it just blip from memory one day. That is partly why I was trying to generate a type of password that is very similar to the memorable ones provided by 1P's password generator but for which I could write down a mnemonic for each word that even someone as close to me as my sister couldn't unravel. I appreciate your mnemonic tricks. And, yes, I'll keep the Emergency Kit safe and sound. I just hope I don't have a brain blip and need it when out of town because I wouldn't know how to feel confident about storing it in a way that would be available on the road. Regarding pet sitters, I had a great one but she retired. Now, lacking someone I know, I want to hire a service so that I get someone who is licensed, bonded, and insured even though that feels more vulnerable. I hope you're getting good time with furry friends. Thank you for all of your help!

• ag_tommy
    edited January 30
    Options

You're most welcome.

As to traveling, I generally provide a sealed envelope to a trusted person and then if I need the details I can access it through them. I also have family members in the recovery group who can assist. Adult children who no longer typically travel with me.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members

• crowslivebig
    crowslivebig
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea. I hadn't heard of the recovery group yet but I'll explore it. Thank you. I am now up & going on 1Password. Thank you for getting me started!

• You're most welcome. Enjoy!