Undesired behavior

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited January 29 in 1Password in the Browser

Each time I log in to an account with the intention of performing an action that pertains to another person (and this is often), and then click in any field that contains a component of my Identity category in 1Password, the AutoFill boxes for my two Identities pop up and obliterate the fields in which I want to type. I realize this is probably the intended behavior...but it's often in my way.

Is there a way to not automatically invoke my personal Identity, but have it available to manually invoke, when desired? If not, my option is to delete my personal Identities from 1Password and enable this in Safari Autofill, which doesn't obliterate the the field in which I want to type when it is invoked...it's much further below the field, allowing me to type in it. Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @LarryMcJ, thanks for writing in!

There isn't a way to only turn off Identity Items as suggestions in the Inline menu but you should be able to press the ESC key on your keyboard or click the 1Password icon in the field to close the Inline menu.

However, you can turn off the autofill menu on field focus in the 1Password extension. This will allow you to show/hide 1Password’s autofill menu manually as needed by clicking the 1Password icon within the field. Here’s how to turn that setting off:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. In the Autofill section, toggle off "Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus".

That being said, I understand the usefulness of choosing which items you'd like to be suggested in the Inline menu, so I've shared your feedback with our product team.

I hope that helps, @LarryMcJ.

-Evon

ref:38041637

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @EvonG1P – I'll just have to figure out what works best. I don't want to turn off Identity suggestions for my own use with other logins, but when using this particular login, I'm always presented with identity fields of other people...not for myself. But of course, 1P can't possibly know this so it tries to always fill the field with my info. Ideally, there would be a way to not use identity autofill on a per-login basis, but I know that's out of the question 🙂. Thanks, again.

• No problem at all, @LarryMcJ. I'm happy to assist.

I'd like to take a closer look at the issue you're experiencing. If 1Password is suggesting incorrect information on a specific website, we can share the details with our development team. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

With your email please include:

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Evon

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

1P is not doing anything incorrectly, it's just that my use case causes it to do something I don't desire while using one particular login...but that's not 1P's fault. I often need to open this login and search for users to verify their enrollment in a particular program. To do this, I have to add any one of the following fields to pull up their info (Fname, Lname, Address, Cell phone, Other phone).

When presented with these blank fields, 1P (rightfully) wants to autofill them with my credentials from one of my several Identity items. So those autofill labels popup, wanting me to select one, and they get in my way as I'm trying to type the information of someone else into these fields. It's a one-off use case and the only way to resolve it would be if 1P had a way to NOT invoke Identity autofill on a per-login item basis. That's not happening...I'm not even suggesting it.

I'll figure out a way, even if it's to just continue tolerating it. Thanks!

• Hey @LarryMcJ, thank you for the detailed explanation.

I completely understand, I've shared your feedback to add an option to avoid showing suggestions to forms on specific logins with our product team. Personally, I've been able to press the ESC key on my keyboard to quickly dismiss the Inline menu (suggestions menu).

Alternatively, you can temporarily turn off all suggestions on a specific webpage by right-clicking the field, select "1Password - Password Manager" and click "Hide on this page". This is a temporary solution so the Inline menu doesn't get in the way and would require you to re-do the steps after every browser restart.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Evon

ref: 38041637

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 31
    Options

@EvonG1P – I'd prefer you retract any feedback to your dev team if it's associated with me. They have enough important things to work on and one of my previous comments in this thread was "I'm not even suggesting it". This only occurs in one of nearly 300 logins for me, so it's an isolated use case that doesn't affect the masses. I tried your suggestion of using ESCAPE and it works perfectly. Thank you for the help 🙂.

• It's no problem at all on our end @LarryMcJ, we're happy to help! However, I've done as you asked and I'm glad to hear that the ESC key worked perfectly.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with. 🙂

-Evon