OTP generation not available on Mac; process unintuitive

Options
LokiNYC
LokiNYC
Community Member

I like to have my 2FA one-time passwords available in 1Password and have set up several sites that work that way.

The process for scanning a QR code works fine from a phone, of course. Unfortunately, the Mac also prompts to "scan a QR code" which is, of course, not possible. (Well, perhaps it is with a laptop and built-in Facetime camera, but I'm using a Mac Mini with a Logitech camera). Once I've scanned the QR code and set up OTP on my phone, 1Password on the Mac doesn't display a code until I click "Ignore" in the "Two factor authentication" banner. And then it shows up.

A better workflow would be for 1P to recognize that that entry has been set up on the phone, sync it straight away with the computer, and remove the "Scan QR code" suggestion altogether for the Mac version.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• @LokiNYC

1Password 8 looks at the screen. You would not need to scan a code with the camera.

A better workflow would be for 1P to recognize that that entry has been set up on the phone, sync it straight away with the computer, and remove the "Scan QR code" suggestion altogether for the Mac version.

This should be happening. Are all entires within the your membership vault? Do you have duplicates?

• LokiNYC
    LokiNYC
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! The fault is on my side. I didn’t realize that the Mac version would capture its own screen, and I probably had the QR code hidden behind the 1P window. Solved. Thank you!

• @LokiNYC

No worries my friend. Especially, if you came from another manager or even earlier versions of 1Password. It's all good. If you have recently granted screen recording permissions be sure to fully quit 1Password to allow it to pick up those permissions. Here's how.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select Quit.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open 1Password and unlock.