"This is a public or shared computer" checkbox

Options
marta
marta
Community Member
edited February 1 in Unlock with passkeys

Hi everyone,

I've started using passwordless sign-in and saw there's a checkbox for "This is a public or shared computer" when you sign in. I'm wondering what happens if you check it. Does it change how things work or make signing in different somehow? I used it on a device I use a lot, but I'm not sure what it does.

Thanks for helping me out!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @marta! 👋

Thanks for the question! The "This is a public or shared computer" option is there if you're using 1Password on a computer that you share with other people. Clicking the option will mean that your browser won't remember anything about your 1Password account after you close the page and you'll need to sign in all over again using your passkey and approval from a trusted device the next time that you want to access 1Password.com in that browser.

If you're on a private and secure device (which is the only place I recommend using 1Password on) then you can leave the box unchecked. This allows your browser to save some of your account information so that you can access and unlock your account on 1Password.com in that browser using only your passkey and without needing to always approve the sign in using a trusted device.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave