1Password on Chrome on iOS won't autofill email in 2-step login (password field not shown at first)

Options
crazyhorse
crazyhorse
Community Member

I'm using 1Password on my iPhone, and I browse with Chrome.

Normally it works great -- when I come to any website with an e-mail field and password field, as soon as I put the cursor inside either the email or password field, there's a bar just above the keyboard that shows the account associated in 1Password, and I just type it to autofill both email and password.

However, on some sites, login is a 2-step process. First there's a page where you input just the e-mail address, press OK, and then it brings you to a second page where you input your password. Examples of this login style can be found at e.g.:

And there is no autofill for the email field. I have to type my email by hand every time, as well as remember which email address I use. Once I continue and get to the password page, 1Password correctly fills in the password itself.

Note that Safari does not have this bug. If I visit either of the example sites given in Safari, it immediately asks me if I want to fill in the e-mail address from 1Password.

Is this a 1Password bug? A Chrome bug? Something wrong with my settings? Does anybody have any solutions?

I love 1Password, but I'm getting sick of typing in my e-mail so often. And using Safari is not an option because I rely on Chrome Sync across my devices across different operating systems.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.2.1
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @crazyhorse

With two-page sign-in forms, such as this one, Google, Amazon, and others, it's usually the case that iOS doesn't offer you the "πŸ”‘ Passwords" on the email address or username field, since it's typically expecting to see two fields – one for username and one for password. Without both, it treats the email address field exactly as it would for something like signing up for a newsletter.

Because 1Password can't do anything to influence the behaviour of iOS's Password AutoFill system, I can suggest a workaround. In iOS, you can set up "text replacement" shortcuts which take an abbreviation that you choose, such as .em or something like that, and replace it with the text of your choice.

☞ How to use Auto-Correction and predictive text on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

That way, when you encounter a two-page sign-in form like this one, you can enter whatever abbreviation you choose to enter your email address, then you'll be able to autofill on the password page using the "πŸ”‘ Passwords" button on the keyboard.

You mentioned that Safari doesn't seem to have this problem, and it looks like Safari might have something of a "home advantage" here that other apps don't get (as far as we can tell).

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any questions or would like any further assistance. :)

β€” Grey

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Grey! That's very informative and helpful. Two things:

First, hopefully this is helpful for others -- I discovered that it's actually an even better experience to use Chrome's built-in autofill functionality described here. By creating different contacts for my different e-mail addresses within Chrome, Chrome now shows those e-mail addresses above my keyboard when I come to an e-mail field (regardless of whether it is a login or not). Note that to input these contacts in Chrome on my desktop (which will sync), I had to temporarily disable the 1Password extension as it otherwise "controls" the autofill functionality.

Second, Grey, you talk about Safari having a "home field advantage" indeed. I've verified that it doesn't work on Firefox in iOS either. I will note that right now there's a lot of extra attention on whether Apple's "home field advantage" is illegal in a lot of areas, and indeed new browser engines about to be supported in the EU for precisely this reason. The idea that Safari provides a better experience for autofill than WebView does in Chrome/Firefox does seem like a detail that could be considered anticompetitive. If you can pass this along to the relevant Product Manager for your iOS app -- this seems like a good time for them to reach out to Apple about fixing this bug. And also reaching out to the Chrome team at Google as well, who I'm sure would be just as motivated to fix it as you are, considering it affects any autofill in their app (not just 1Password's).

And one more detail: in the NYT example I gave, the HTML element for the username explicitly contains autocomplete="username" which, according to Apple's documentation, should explicitly trigger username/password autofill. So this is more evidence of it being a bug. (The Atlantic example I gave does not contain that hint, but it still autofills on Safari.)

• Dave_1P
    edited February 1
    Options

@crazyhorse

Thank you for the feedback. We're always looking to improve the 1Password experience on all platforms and we actively work with our friends at Apple, Google, and Mozilla to do so.

Regarding the different experience with iOS AutoFill in different browsers on iPhones and iPads, I recommend that you also provide this feedback to Apple and to the developers of each browser that you use. As Grey mentioned, filling using iOS AutoFill is handled completely by iOS itself and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. Improvements to how iOS AutoFill works in a certain browser would need to be implemented by either Apple or the individual browser developer, depending on the situation.

Please let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave! But let's be honest -- as a regular user, I don't think I have any way of submitting a feature request or bug fix to Apple or Google? Smaller companies for sure, but not companies at their scale. This is where we really have to rely on you, since a product manager at 1Password can reach out to partner PM's at Apple and Google. So just hoping that you do!

• @crazyhorse

You can reach Apple and Google through their support channels:

I'm not sure what the proper process would be like but the support team at those companies can assist with directing you to the appropriate place.

This is where we really have to rely on you, since a product manager at 1Password can reach out to partner PM's at Apple and Google. So just hoping that you do!

I'll pass along your request to the team. For the time being, we do have an extension for Safari on iOS where we do control the experience and are able to address any filling issues that you run into. I know that you said that you use Chrome but, if possible, I recommend giving the extension a try since it provides for a similar experience as what you're used to on the desktop: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

ref: PB-38103722