Possible bug with 1Password jumping to the forefront/focus whenever I switch apps or open a new tab

Options
sierrakiloecho
sierrakiloecho
Community Member

I'm not even sure how to word the problem I'm having, so my apologies if this has already been asked because I'm not sure what to search for.

I'm having an intermittent issue with 1Password jumping to the forefront on my Mac whenever I try to switch to another app or open/refresh a tab on my browser. For example, when I open a new tab and navigate to a new website, as it loads 1Password becomes the app "in focus". I use keyboard shortcuts a lot so sometimes that means I open a new tab and start typing something to search only to realize that I'm now typing into the 1Password search bar. This also happens when I use Cmd + Tab to switch to a different app.

More frequently, I don't actually have 1Password open, since I primarily use it through my browser extension. In this case, the 1Password window doesn't open and come to the fore, but if I start trying to type in my browser it doesn't work, and I'll look to the upper left in the toolbar and see that 1Password is now the app I'm in.

I'll quit 1P whenever this happens (again, since I primarily use the browser extension and don't need the actual app open) but the next time I switch tabs or apps it pops up again.

Seems like this will happen off and on for a few days and then it goes away for several months and works normally.

I have two different users on my mac, one for personal and one for work, and at the moment it's only happening on my work user, but it's happened on both in the past.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: MacOS 13.4
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• @sierrakiloecho

I'd recommend updating macOS when possible. It may prove helpful. Also, please try the following and let me know if it provides any relief.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select Quit.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Open 1Password and Unlock.
  • sierrakiloecho
    sierrakiloecho
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, thank you! I've done both and so far no problems. Thanks for your help!

• I'm happy that Tommy was able to help. 🙂

-Dave