TOTP 2FA out of sync between Windows and Android

Options
olirc
olirc
Community Member
edited February 2 in Windows

Hello,

Been using 1Password for many years, but just run in to an odd problem where my Secret Keys/OTP/2FA codes no longer work from the Windows app. It's like they are out of sync with what they should be.

If I open up the app on my phone (Android) and use the code from there, it's the correct code.

But the code from the Windows app and the Browser Extension no longer work for any 2-step authentication.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: Windows 11, version 22H2
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hi there @olirc

Time-based one-time passwords, such as the ones you mentioned, are just that – time-based, and rely on your system clock being accurate, since the system's clock is used to seed the one-time password.

The suspicion here would be that your Windows PC's clock is off by 30 seconds or more. Use this website to compare your system clock to internet time:

https://time.is/

If it's not accurate to within a second or two, adjust your clock. Ideally, use Windows's ability to sync with internet time automatically.

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• olirc
    olirc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P

Thank you for your answer. That was indeed the issue. It was over 3 minutes out! Not sure why that had occurred as it was still set to automatically sync, but I did the Sync Now option and all is working correctly again.

Best regards,

Oliver

• I'm happy that Grey's suggestion helped. 🙂

-Dave