Brave's 1password says "problem connecting"

Options

The 1password extension in Brave says "problem connecting".
My Brave is in my user/Applications directory because I installed it with brew.
I added the path to the "Connect to additional browsers" setting in the 1password app, but didn't help.

Does Brave need to be in the /Applications dir?

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 14.3 (23D56)
Browser: Brave 1.62.156 Chromium: 121.0.6167.139

Comments

• Hello @hmijail, thanks for writing in!

You mentioned:

Does Brave need to be in the /Applications dir?

Yes, Brave does need to be in the /Applications folder so it can communicate with the 1Password desktop app. I would recommend re-installing it directly in the /Applications folder.

I hope that helps, let us know how things go.

-Evon

• hmijail
    hmijail
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed it works once in /Applications, thank you.
    I'd suggest that, if the browser to be allowed needs to be in /Applications, then the "Connect to additional browsers" setting should also be restricted to that same dir. That would have immediately hinted what was the problem.

I have a related question: I saw the post "Extending support for trusted web browsers" which discusses this functionality. It's eye opening and scary - I hadn't stopped to think of the implications of allowing access, and sounds like a problem waiting to happen. So I was wondering, are 1Password devs looking into ways to minimize/avoid the possibility of a rogue/subverted browser from stealing all the passwords? Or is it an unavoidable problem?

I'm asking because I'm still digesting the idea and wondering whether I'm comfortable with that level of risk! Maybe copy-pasting passwords manually is not that bad...

• @hmijail

Thanks for the reply. In the past, our team has individually vetted browsers that have been requested by customers before adding support. This required a significant effort, was limited to only popular browsers, and it meant that folks who were fans of smaller browsers we're not able to use 1Password in that browser.

The new "Trusted Browsers" feature allows you to decide which browser you'd like to use according to your own judgement. Only add and use browsers that you trust and know are safe. A browser has access to everything that you do inside of its window and that includes the data on the websites that you're viewing, the data in the extensions that you've installed, and anything that you type or enter into a website. It's important to carefully vet your chosen browser since it is one of the most privileged applications on your device.

Most people will be able to stick with one of the browsers that we officially support such as Chrome, Safari, Brave, or Firefox. If you're concerned about using other browsers, then just stick with one of these. 🙂

-Dave