Feature Request: Prevent Focus Stealing or Secure Desktop

Options
YellowVista
YellowVista
Community Member

I miss the Secure Desktop feature from prior versions of 1Password (and from my other password managers). It provided real benefits in terms of making sure no other apps on my PC could capture my 1Password account password while I am typing it into 1Password. I've had many occasions where I have been typing my account password into 1Password only to have another desktop app pop up and steal the focus, such that I end up typing part of my 1Password account password into that other app. That is both a security concern and also just a nuisance, because then I have to start over typing my long 1Password account password.

I would still really like that feature to be added back to 1Password 8, but I realize that probably isn't likely.

However, is there any alternate option available to prevent other desktop apps from stealing focus while entering the 1Password account password? Perhaps an "Always on Top" option whenever 1Password is open and prompting for a password (unless it automatically locks itself in the background), or if that isn't feasible, perhaps turning on "Always on Top" after a character has been entered into the account password field (to prevent 1Password from bringing itself to the foreground after automatically locking).

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @YellowVista,

Thanks for your message and request.

While I understand Secure Desktop was a great feature in previous versions of 1Password, I included some details here in a thread discussing that Secure Desktop support was to be removed in late 2022.

I can see where an "always on top" account password unlock screen could help with other apps stealing focus, I'm not sure if it's possible. With that being said, I'm happy to pass along your feature request to the Product team for review and consideration.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: PB 38227669