That didn't work. Check your password and try again.

Options
GonFishing
GonFishing
Community Member
edited February 14 in Mac

After my hard drive failed in my iMac, I rebuilt the system using my MacBook and then booted my MacBook off the external drive to check everything out first. I reinstalled 1Password so that I could enter passwords as I was rebuilding things. I also enabled Unlock with Apple Watch and Touch ID.

When I was done, I installed the rebuilt drive in my iMac and reinstalled 1Password. However, now each time I start 1Password it has the message "That didn't work. Check your password and try again".

I believe it is trying to unlock 1Password with my Apple Watch and/or Touch ID, however my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - does not support Touch ID. Going into Settings > Security, there are no settings for Apple Watch and Touch ID. My MacBook at the same 1Password level has them above Auto-lock in the security settings.

I suspect that 1Password does realize I do not have Touch ID on my iMac and is not showing the security settings for that reason, however it is already set somewhere and it is trying to use Touch ID to unlock the iMac anyway, which of course fails, and that is the reason for the message.

I can't recall if I was able to unlock 1Password with my Apple Watch before my internal drive failed, but that is not even an option now as I said and no indication that 1Password is attempting to unlock with the Apple Watch.

I tried uninstalling 1Password, including uninstalling using AppCleaner, hoping any remnants of the install on the MacBook would be cleaned up in the process. However the problem remains.

Hoping this might explain the problem that I see others have experienced, where this message appears, and lead to a fix or at least a circumvention. Maybe there are property files somewhere which if I delete them it will fix the problem.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 13.6.4
Browser: Safari 17.3.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited February 14
    Options

Hello @GonFishing! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock 1Password on your Mac. I know how important it is to be able to access 1Password and the team and I are here to help. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Are you entering your account password into the app when you try to unlock it?
    2. Is 1Password 8 installed in your /Applications folder? Or some other location?
    3. Are you able to log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

PS: I generally don't recommend using an app cleaner to uninstall 1Password since that can cause issues.

• GonFishing
    GonFishing
    Community Member
    Options

I am able to unlock 1Password. My issue is just the message that comes up each time I start 1Password or if 1Password locks and I open it again. The issue was also mentioned in the discussion https://1password.community/discussion/123814/locked-screen-shows-that-didnt-work-message-on-startup

• @GonFishing

Thank you for clarifying. I see that the issue being discussed in that thread is still open with our development team. If you're willing to send one, then a diagnostics report would help us investigate further:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#11343

• GonFishing
    GonFishing
    Community Member
    Options

My support ticket ID is RZX-29678-262.

• Hi @GonFishing 👋

Thank you for sharing your Support ID. I was able to locate the diagnostics that you sent. A colleague will follow up with you soon over email. Please check your email inbox and continue the conversation there. To prevent the conversation from occurring in multiple places at once, I’ve closed this thread.

-Trevor

ref: RZX-29678-262

This discussion has been closed.