Randomly being prompted to authenticate on 8.10.24, is this a bug? or just weird configuration?

Options
passwordguy
passwordguy
Community Member

shortly after I logging on my Mac, I am prompted to unlock 1Password even if I am not trying to use it. this has started happening within the last week or so.

I have not tried restarting my Mac yet, but will do so soon.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.24 (81024044)
Extension Version: 2.20.2 (220002)
OS Version: MacOS 14.2.1
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @passwordguy! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing a prompt to unlock 1Password when you log in to your Mac. Is it possible that you've added either the 1Password desktop app or one of your browsers as a Login Item for macOS? You can check by following these steps:

1. Click the  in the menu bar and then click System Settings.
    2. Click General.
    3. Click Login Items.

1Password should be listed under "Allow in the Background" and should not be listed under "Open at Login". If you see 1Password under "Open at Login" then remove it. Remove any remove any browsers listed here as well since they can launch 1Password if you have the extension installed.

I would also recommend that you restart your Mac since that can sometimes clear up all sorts of issues. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• passwordguy
    passwordguy
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for following up! I just checked, and 1Password isn't under "Login Items", nor is any browser. 1Password is allowed to run in the background (says "2 items" underneath.)

• @passwordguy

Thank you for the reply. Please restart your Mac and then, if the issue occurs again, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• passwordguy
    passwordguy
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for the follow-up – I can't reproduce this after restarting my laptop, so I'm chalking this up as a transient error. have a good day!

• @passwordguy

I'm happy that a restart got things working again, let me know if you do see the issue again in the future. Have a good day as well! 🙂

-Dave