1Password for Mac is quitting on window close

Options
ethanlee16
ethanlee16
Community Member

When closing the main 1Password window of the macOS desktop app, the full application is quitting. Is this expected behavior?

Previously, closing the main 1Password window (with either the red X window control or Command-W) closed the window, leaving the application running.

If the application quits on close, Quick Access and the SSH agent also stop working until I re-launch 1Password. This is not an ideal experience, because the original intent of closing the 1Password window was to clean up my desktop, not to quit 1Password completely.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.24 (81024044)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.6.2 (22G320)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @ethanlee16! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry that 1Password is closing unexpectedly. It's only expected behaviour that 1Password will close in the background when you close the main window if you have the menu bar icon turned off. To keep 1Password open in the background make sure that the menu bar icon is turned on:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If youโ€™re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Click General.
    4. Make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on.

If the option is already on and you're still seeing 1Password completely close when you close the main window then let me know. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ethanlee16
    ethanlee16
    Community Member
    Options

I see, thanks a lot for the tip! After enabling this, it seems to work well.

My feedback would be that I don't think whether or not 1Password stays open in the background should depend on this setting.

I disabled that option to prevent menu bar clutter (I have way too many icons in my menu bar, and they get cut off by the MBP notch ๐Ÿ™ƒ), and I use 1Password Quick Access with the global keyboard shortcut instead of using the menu bar icon.

There are other background activities, like the SSH agent, that should stay running even if the main window is closed. I would also like to be able to use Quick Access without the icon appearing in my menu bar.

• @ethanlee16

Thank you for the feedback. The menu bar icon is required to have 1Password run in the background because there's no other indicator to let a user know that 1Password is open and unlocked in the when the main window is closed. Since 1Password stores the most important data in our lives, it's important that you're kept aware when that data is accessible on your device.

That being said, I've passed along your comments to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-38285949

• ethanlee16
    ethanlee16
    Community Member
    edited February 14
    Options

How about the macOS native indicator for when an app is running?

I think 1Password's desktop app actually diverges from the behavior of most other macOS apps, where closing the window also removes this indicator (even if the app is still running).

I just tried Spotify, WhatsApp, Zoom, Slack, Apple Mail, iMessage, and each of these apps appear to behave the same way (main window can be closed, but app "running" indicator remains).

• ethanlee16
    ethanlee16
    Community Member
    Options

One idea that I've seen executed well in other apps is to change the desktop icon dynamically (Notion Calendar comes to mind, changing the date in their icon to the current date).

I can imagine the default icon (when completely closed) indicating a "locked" 1Password icon, and unlocking the vault changes the icon to an "open" 1Password icon. I think that could be a lot more visible than the little lock in the corner of this current menu bar icon!

• @ethanlee

Thank you for sharing your experiences with other apps, I've shared your comments with our Product team so that they can look into possible changes or options that can be added to how 1Password handles the menu bar and Dock icons in the future.

For the time being, I know that some folks use apps like Bartender to manage their menu bar and to choose which icons show up there. Since Bartender is a third-party app I can't officially recommend it but I'm mentioning it in case it helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave