Security Questions and Type of 1Password Item

Options
wab
wab
Community Member

I find the ability to generate security question answers a very valuable feature of 1Password. However, it seems to me that this function is only available for certain type of items. For example, it seems to be available for new "Logins" but not for new "Passwords." Am I doing something wrong, or is this by design? If the latter, what is the logic? I would love to see this feature available for all item types.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: Mac OS 14.3.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @wab! πŸ‘‹

Thanks for the question! In my experience, security questions are most often used with logins which is why they're available as an option when creating a Login item.

Can you tell me a little more about where else you're seeing security questions being used? I can pass your use cases along to the team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• wab
    wab
    Community Member
    Options

I think the distinction between "logins" and "passwords" is unclear and moot. Today, TurboTax asked me if I wanted to password protect my tax file. I said yes and entered in 1Password as a "password" item. Lo and behold TurboTax asked me to provide the answer to a security question and 1Password had no functionality to support this. I really think that any item that has a password field should provide the option of adding security questions. That seems like it would be easy enough to do.

• @wab

Thanks for the reply. Is the security question that you set specific to that password protected tax file? Or is it a security question for your TurboTax account as a whole? Do you already have an existing Login Item for your TurboTax account itself?

I'm not currently a customer of TurboTax and I appreciate you answering these questions so that I can better understand the situation. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• wab
    wab
    Community Member
    Options

The security question is specific for that password protected tax file. I do have a TurboTax account and that login information is separate and different. I know it's unusual and different, but I'm finding these nuisance security questions are quite common in a variety of circumstances. Thanks.

• @wab

Thank you for those additional details. I can see how adding a security question option to Password items would be useful and I've passed your suggestion along to the team.

For the time being, you can create a Login item and just leave the username field blank or add a custom password field to an existing Password item to generate a random security answer using the memorable option in the password generator: Customize your 1Password items

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-38301710

• wab
    wab
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much!

• Thank you again for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave