How do I turn off autofill for addresses & etc in Safari

Options

Hi, I use 1Password for important accounts that I want protected more securely than Apple's password manager but not for less important accounts. I then set 1Password so that I have to log in to it each time I want to get one of these passwords. I let Apple's manager deal with the rest. I do NOT want to leave 1Password logged in as I don't want these passwords available to people who, for example, borrow my iPhone or my computer.

My problem is that 1Password wants to be my home and email address manager. That is, it wants to fill in my addresses and etc when various web pages ask for the address. But for me to use that feature, I have to log into 1Password and doing that is actually harder than just entering my email address & so forth. Besides, Safari can do that without 1Password's help, thank you. So I want 1Password to just let it be.

The problem is that 1Password puts its icon for auto filling the address and so forth right on top of the apple icon for doing the same. This effectively disables the Safari feature and forces me into either using the 1Password version or nothing.

For a while, I simply turned 1Password off for Safari and only used Chrome for those accounts. But somehow in a recent update, 1Password snuck back into Safari and stuck that dang button back in my way.

Please. Is there some way to get rid of this most unhelpful feature? I've just spent the past half hour looking through the discussions and what I've found is simply not helpful.

1Password for Mac 8.10.23 (81023003)

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 81023003
OS Version: MacOS 13.6.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @abqmichaelj! 👋

Thanks for the question! My recommendation is that you use 1Password to store all of your logins and addresses. Using two different password managers at once can result in the types of conflicts that you're seeing, you can find our guide here:

Using two different password managers in the same browser can also cause issues where you might save a login in the wrong place, create duplicates in both managers, or accidentally save changed passwords in one manager but not update your existing entry for that login in the other manager.

My problem is that 1Password wants to be my home and email address manager. That is, it wants to fill in my addresses and etc when various web pages ask for the address. But for me to use that feature, I have to log into 1Password and doing that is actually harder than just entering my email address & so forth.

Can you tell me a little more about this? What makes unlocking 1Password inconvenient, I'd love to learn more. Have you tried using Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock for 1Password? It makes the process of unlocking 1Password much faster:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    edited January 28
    Options

Yes, I understand that's what you recommend. However, if only one PW manager could meet my needs, I would do it with Apple's built in manager.

In my real world, I sometimes like to share my iPhone or iPad with my friends. Some of my friends are close enough that I'm willing to share my passcode (e.g., to check things when I'm driving or to make a phone call) but not my bank password with them. Apple, 1Password and other managers only minimally afford this option. I can't, for example, lock my very private passwords behind one "vault" while keeping my others in another.

Let me explain minimal. 1Password's iPhone vault lets me use either none, minimal security (my face or passcode) or maximal security (a password). Typing a robust password to unlock another, especially on an iPhone, is a pain only worthy of the most important passwords. It's a royal pain to use it to unlock my phone number and address (which is, after all, public info).

With that not in mind, that choice means that if I want to lock down my bank account with a longer password that I should be perfectly happy using that password to also unlock my Groupon membership password and my phone number when I need those. That decision is ridiculous. Yea, it's harder for your developers to do something like that but that easy solution is ridiculous.

Then you ask, well why not just keep all your passwords unlocked or minimally secured. That response is also ridiculous. Why would I pay extra for a password manager if all I wanted was the same thing as I already get for free?

So I have gone with the 2 password managers option. One for important stuff, one for day to day stuff. I put the important stuff in the harder to use app (1Password) and the less important stuff in the super easy to use feature (Apple's built in system).

All I want is to know "How can I turn off the features in 1Password that are getting in my way."

But maybe there's a hole in my logic. Maybe It's best that I just leave all my passwords accessible with passcode or face recognition. Convince me that's true.

• Dave_1P
    edited February 6
    Options

@abqmichaelj

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! Can you tell me a little more about why you think that using Face ID (or Touch ID) is "minimal security"? Face ID is very secure and our team has made a significant effort to ensure that using Face ID increases the convenience of unlocking 1Password without compromising security: About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

The same applies when using Touch ID on the Mac: About the security of using Touch ID or Apple Watch to unlock 1Password for Mac

I've love to learn more about your specific concerns and answer any questions that you might have.

All I want is to know "How can I turn off the features in 1Password that are getting in my way."

There's a few options that are available. On the iPhone and iPad, you can turn off the browser extension for Safari and use iOS AutoFill instead. iOS AutoFill allows you to fill your login credentials into Safari and other iOS apps but won't fill addresses and other form data:

1. Open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password.
    5. Turn off "Allow Extension".

Then setup and use iOS AutoFill: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

For the Mac, you could turn off the browser extension as well and then use Universal Autofill instead to fill your login credentials from 1Password: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

Using Autofill would allow you to keep 1Password separate from your other password manager. Let me know if that would work. 🙂

-Dave

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    edited February 7
    Options

First, remember that I want to be able to close friends and family my passcode so they can get into my phone while I'm driving or otherwise unavailable. As noted, I don't want to give the same friends passwords to my bank accounts and such. It seems to me that anybody with my passcode can add a Face ID. So by extension, I don't want to rely upon Face ID as an authentication solution for my bank accounts and such.

Now it's possible that there's something I'm missing there -- maybe 1Password authenticates one Face ID at a time, but I haven't seen it and haven't noticed it in the 1Password documentation. All I know is that because I want to share my passcode, and because my passcode unlocks all things Apple, I don't want to use any of those systems to protect my bank accounts and such.

Does that make sense? If so, look at what's written in the link you provided me and tell me if what that says makes sense from a "securing your password" sense.

Oh... I had turned off 1Password's browser extension's access to Safari after not seeing an answer within a week.

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    Options

Re-reviewing the links, I can see I'm getting my systems confused and am a little out of date on my knowledge about Face ID authentication. Plus I see, or seem to see, that the MacOS supports an authentication option that my Mac does not have (mainly Touch ID).

I came to 1Password for exactly the name the product is named 1Password. I wanted a system to secure passwords for important accounts (e.g., my bank) under 1 password.

I have been very happy with Apple's key vault system for accounts that I want to protect with things like my Apple Watch, my iPhone and iPad FaceID and my iPhone and iPad passcodes. That's a great system. I am as or more confident of Apple's security engineering regarding those systems as I am of any 3rd party's engineering. Furthermore, I am very happy with Apple's auto-fill capabilities for things like my phone number and address.

The problem with Apple's password management system is that when integrated, it effectively ONLY protects the passwords with the watch, FaceID, and passcodes. That is, if I'm using all 4 devices, I can always get at my passwords using one of those systems.

I want a system that lets me protect passwords to some important accounts with a single password. Not with the watch, not with FaceID, and not with passcodes.

What you are asking is "why do I want to use a password" when I can use all those other easier systems. My answer has to do with the desire to share my phone

• Dave_1P
    edited February 9
    Options

@abqmichaelj

Thanks for the reply. You wrote:

It seems to me that anybody with my passcode can add a Face ID. So by extension, I don't want to rely upon Face ID as an authentication solution for my bank accounts and such.

If you, or someone else, resets Face ID or sets up an alternate appearance on your device then 1Password will immediately disable Face ID as an unlock method for the app and require your account password before you can use Face ID to unlock 1Password again. You can read more about the security of using Face ID with 1Password here: About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

Have you taken a look at using iOS AutoFill on your iPhone/iPad and Universal AutoFill on your Mac instead of using the 1Password browser extension? It sounds like these would fit your needs since you can use AutoFill/Universal Autofill to fill your logins from 1Password while using Safari's built-in functions to fill addresses and credit cards (and passwords too if you wish) without running into most conflicts.

-Dave

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    Options

That’s really cool Dave.

So let me get this straight. 1Password will ask me for my password every couple weeks on a schedule I likely won’t keep track of. If somebody sets up a second Face ID on my iPhone, 1Password will ask me for my password like it does those other weeks. Once I enter that password, the person who setup the Face ID can look at my phone, log in to 1Password and log into my protected accounts.

That would be cool Dave.

What I really want is a program that lets me protect some accounts with a password. I get that you feel strongly that Face ID is the solution to my problems. If I believed that, I would be using Apple’s password system. Can you think of any systems that give the 1 Password protection without having to lock all passwords including my address and phone number behind it?

• Dave_1P
    edited February 12
    Options

@abqmichaelj

You can choose to use 1Password for iOS without Face ID and always require your account password if that better fits your use case. On your iPhone and iPad, when using iOS AutoFill instead of the extension for Safari, you'll always be prompted to unlock 1Password before you fill or save an item. And if you have both 1Password and iCloud Keychain turned on then you'll be prompted which one you'd like to use when saving or filling a password:

-Dave

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    Options

My query was about 1Password for Mac 8.10.23 (81023003).

My request was to have a way of being able to use 1Password for Mac in Safari without it trying to offer me things like my name and phone number as the built in Apple functionality works better and I don’t want to log into 1Password every time I want to fill inn my name and phone number on a form. (I would also very much like to use 1Password for Mac alongside the Apple password system.)

Your recommendation was that I use 1Password for everything.

I then explained the reason I don’t use 1Password for everything is that I don’t like typing in my 1Password password just to get my name and address to fill in. Then you asked why I don’t use the auto login functions and I explained that I don’t want to use that stuff because I don’t trust the security behind it enough. That I had bought 1Password to protect passwords that are too important to protect that way. I also gave an example of one security flaw with using FaceID

You then explained how you felt that FaceID would be fine so I outlined a workaround hack that any idiot could use to get around that sort of security.

You then said I could use 1Password on iOS without Face ID, a question I already know and never posed.

What I really want is a program that lets me protect SOME accounts with ONE PASSWORD. I don’t want the program to get in my way for all the other sorts of things you can think up. Is there a way to get that?

• Dave_1P
    edited February 13
    Options

@abqmichaelj

I'm sorry for the confusion. You brought up your iPhone and iPad and I was providing a recommendation for those platforms. I can certainly focus on the Mac going forward.

What I really want is a program that lets me protect SOME accounts with ONE PASSWORD. I don’t want the program to get in my way for all the other sorts of things you can think up. Is there a way to get that?

Yes, you can uninstall the 1Password extension from Safari and instead use the 1Password desktop app's Universal Autofill feature to fill any passwords stored in 1Password: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

1Password's Universal Autofill feature doesn't add any prompts or icons to webpages so it won't conflict with iCloud Keychain. And Universal Autofill can only fill logins, not credit cards or addresses (which you said that you were using Safari's built-in tools to save and fill instead).

Let me know if Universal Autofill would work for you. 🙂

-Dave

• abqmichaelj
    abqmichaelj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    I have disabled 1Password on Safari and will use google for banking.

• Let me know if you run into any issues with Universal Autofill or if there's anything else that I can help you with in the future. 🙂

-Dave