Software icons

Options
danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator

Some of my software licences show an icon of the program, others only show a generic icon. I thought that one simply had to drag the program onto the 1P icon in the Mac to produce a software licence item with the icon, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. Am I just doing something wrong, or has the process changed?

And what would be the best way of getting a nice icon for those software licence items that currently have a generic icon?

Comments

• Hello @danco! 👋

Thanks for the question! With 1Password 8, rich icons are pulled from our rich icons server to ensure a high-quality and consistent icon experience across all of your devices. Dragging an app into 1Password doesn't currently allow you to create a Software License item, you'll need to click New Item > Software License to do that.

If an icon for an app isn't available on our rich icons server then a generic icon will be displayed. You can add a custom icon by editing the item using 1Password for Mac, clicking on the arrow beneath the icon, and clicking Choose new icon.

And, if you tell me the name of the apps in question, I can file issues to have icons for those apps added to the rich icons server in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

OK, that answers the question about creating an item. How do I access the rich icons server? And should it download a rich icon even if a generic one is already present? It is possible that an adblocker is restricting access to it. I do have Show app and website icons checked. Almost certinly some of the apps that have generic icon are in your server, they are quite well known.

• @danco

The rich icons server is something that the 1Password apps access, it's not designed to be user facing. You can read more here: About rich icons and your privacy

You'll want to make sure that the following ports and domains are accessible on your device and network: 1Password ports and domains

Almost certinly some of the apps that have generic icon are in your server, they are quite well known.

If you can provide me with the name of the apps then I can look into this further. If you're not willing to share them on the public forum then you can send an email to our team: support+forum@1Password.com

-Dave

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Well, there's Bartender, Keyboard Maestro, Graphic Converter, Tinker Tool System, TechTool Pro, and some obscure ones. I reckon you must have those (or some of them) on your server. I haven't explicitly set a firewall, but as I mentioned some ad blocker might be doing it. I do normally use Adguard.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I will add that for some of these the earlier licenced versions do have rich icons, but when i added an item for a newer version, that came in as generic.

• fernandog
    fernandog
    Community Member
    Options

If an icon for an app isn't available on our rich icons server then a generic icon will be displayed

@Dave_1P Do you consider using Apple|Google|Samsung store rich icons when that item has a linked app? Or even to add more itens to 1pass rich icons database?

• @danco

Thanks for the reply. It looks like we have an icon for Bartender:

And Keyboard Maestro:

And Graphic Converter:

And Tinker Tool System:

And TechTool Pro:

Are you seeing a generic icon for all of these? Or are these icons incorrect or outdated? If they're incorrect or outdated then I can file issues to have them updated if you can link me to examples of what the icon should be. 🙂

-Dave

• @fernandog

Right now, icons are pulled from our rich icons database. I can share your suggestion with the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38300185

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, I did expect you had rich icons for all these. But I am seeing generic icons for all of them.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Ah, I've found the cause. I like to name the licences with their version, particularly if I want to keep the licence for the old version for some reason.

So my licences are named as Bartender 5, TechTool Pro 19, and so on. As soon as I removed the version number, the rich icon appeared. But I see that if I put the version number in the licence details rather than in the title, the version is shown in the middle pane, which is good enough.

I think some of the less common programs may not currently have rich icons in the database, but I'll take a look after I have corrected the major ones.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 15
    Options

The following apps still have generic icons in my 1P listings.

URL Manager Pro
    AdGuard
    EtreCheck Pro power user (the power user is a paid add-on to the free EtreCheck Pro, I think)
    Capto
    MacUpdater
    Lingo X
    BackupLoupe
    Overflow 3
    Witch
    Copy 'Em
    Vinyl Studio

And a few so ancient I don't expect ever to use again.

• fernandog
    fernandog
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P nice. I think the better solution is that rich icons database could get the icons from the apps store. It's a update on the 1password "robot", not on the user app. got the idea? also, the icon from the app have higher quality.

• @danco

Thank you for the list of apps and for letting me know why you weren't seeing the icons at first! I've filed an issue to have our team add icons for the apps that you've listed in the future but I'm having trouble finding the following:

• Lingo X

Are you able to provide an icon for this app that is 512 × 512 (pixels) or at least 180 × 180 (pixels)? Or can you direct me to their website or App Store page?

@fernandog

Thank you again for the feedback, it's been shared with the team internally. 🙂

-Dave

ref: /rich-icons/-/issues/514

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Lingo was a misprint. Should be Lingon X at peterborgapps.com or the Mac App Store.

• @danco

Thank you, I've added Lingon X to the request as well. 🙂

-Dave