estate timing mode

Options
pathfinder76
pathfinder76
Community Member

so as anyone who has had to deal with the passing of a loved one will tell you, it would be nice to be able to distrubute documents to folks after passing. last pass can do this. it is a "timer" function, so the way it would work is, that after passing, other people ask to activate this function, it has a delay( eg 1 week), the owner will get an option to turn it off. But when they pass, it can be used to send all the documents and passwords to the immediate family

1Password Version: 8.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 23
    Options

@pathfinder76

Sharing the 🚒 Emergency Kit is the best option available at present. It's an interesting challenge and one the team has been studying for a period of time. At present the best recommendation I can offer is either trusting another person implicitly with them having full access to the password and Secret Key or by sharing the document with someone like an attorney who could disseminate that information after a confirmed death.

My father in-law has taken a modified approach. I know he has it stored in his safe. He's taking the combination to the grave with him. The only outcome is to get someone to open the safe thus ensuring no one has access to it early.

I'll let the team know this is an area you're looking to see other options comes to light.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for insights. When i used to use another password manager (lastpass) they did allow this. Is there something in the architecture of last pass that makes this option easier ?

• I can't speak to how they might have things configured. I've been a user here for 16+ years. I've not used anything else during this time. Different companies have different feature sets. Currently, our best suggestion is to share the Emergency Kit.

• airlie
    airlie
    Community Member
    Options

As I understand it 1Password encrypts everything client side, before sending it to 1Password servers. This means that 1Password has 0 visibility inside your vaults. They don't know what accounts you saved, they don't know what fields you use in entries. They don't have the ability to unlock anything, because they don't store it in ways that allows them to decrypt it without a password and they don't store your 1Password password.

Lastpass must have some sort of ability to decrypt your data without your interaction. Not everyone is comfortable with that.

• Yes, correct @airlie

1Password has zero visibility. That's one of the many reasons I am a happy user.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

so the share function that i am speaking about , is the same share function that 1password already has, it just has a "timer" or delay, so it only shares, if the original user does not respond after a certain period of time

• @pathfinder76

I wasn't sure to whom your comment was directed. Was this feedback something you wanted us to add to your existing feedback? If so, I can do that. Apologies in advance for the confusion.

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

i was not sure either. but that would be great if you can add it to feedback.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 17
    Options

You got it my friend. I'd be happy to do that.

ref: PB-38322859