Secret Key appears in iPhone sign in screen

Options
BAF
BAF
Community Member
edited February 20 in iOS

I normally use Face ID on my iPhone 15 pro to sign into 1Password. I was curious about what would happen if my face were unavailable (e.g. stolen phone), so I covered up the front camera and tried to sign on. On the iPhone screen, I see a box with "Enter your password," and in the gray area above the keyboard is written "password for 1Password.com," and below that is my actual secret key. Is there a way to keep my Secret Key from being shown?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• BAF
    BAF
    Community Member
    Options

Additional information: In passwords in iPhone settings, under 1Password.com, I see my user name as my Secret Key, and Password as my 1Password user name. If I delete this entire entry, will I still be able to use 1Password on my iPhone with or without internet access?

• Hello @BAF! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you've saved your account password and Secret Key for 1Password in the built-in password manager that comes with your iPhone. There's no need to save your 1Password account information there and I recommend memorizing your account password rather than saving it in another password manager.

You can remove the saved account password and Secret Key by following these steps:

1. Make sure that you have a copy of your Emergency Kit stored somewhere safe and that you've memorized your account password.
    2. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
    3. Tap Passwords.
    4. Find the entry for your 1Password account, tap on it, then scroll down and tap Delete Password.

If I delete this entire entry, will I still be able to use 1Password on my iPhone with or without internet access?

As long as you've installed the 1Password app for your iPhone, your passwords and other items stored in 1Password will be available even without internet. The 1Password app stores your items locally.

I hope that helps!

-Dave

• BAF
    BAF
    Community Member
    Options

Many Thanks. I suspect that this happened because I had both 1Password and Apple Keychain activated. I have deactivated Keychain and already I am happier. Now to remove the offending information from Keychain. Stay Safe!

• @BAF

Thank you sharing the steps that you took. If you do run into any other issues, or have any other questions, then don't hesitate to let me know. 🙂

-Dave