Repeated DUO prompts when using 1Password for Safari on iOS

Options
wonnage
wonnage
Community Member
edited January 3 in iOS

I was getting a duo prompt every time Safari was started - e.g after a force close from the app switcher, or when iOS naturally kills it after being backgrounded for a while. This persisted until I read another thread about constant login emails, where another user mentioned iCloud private relay being a factor.

Turning off private relay and approving the push resolved the issue, even after turning relay back on and force closing Safari again. It seems these issues are related - hope this helps with finding the cause.

1Password Version: 8.10.22
Extension Version: 2.17.10
OS Version: iOS 17.2
Browser: Safari

Comments

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member
    Options

Started in the last few weeks and no idea why. One personal and one work account using duo. The work account is the root cause. Safari on iOS being opened triggers a Duo push reauth request every time. Only solution was to remove the account from the device.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
    Extension Version: 2.17.0
    OS Version: iOS 17.2.1
    Browser: Safari

• Dave_1P
    edited January 3
    Options

Hello @wonnage and @ramblingpolak! 👋

We are aware of an issue some users are experiencing with repeated DUO prompts opening when using 1Password in the browser on iOS and other platforms. Our developers are investigating and we hope to include a fix in a future update.

For the time being, you can temporarily turn off 1Password for Safari on your iPhone/iPad and use iOS AutoFill to fill and save logins from 1Password instead:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password and turn off "Allow Extension".
    5. Make sure that AutoFill is turned on and setup to work with 1Password: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, please let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26839

• wonnage
    wonnage
    Community Member
    edited January 18
    Options

Hello, I'm back with an update. It seems like in addition to disabling Private Relay, I also had to disable IPv6 on my home router. I chanced upon this when I noticed that I had multiple entries for the Safari extension in my 1Password trusted devices list, and these entries all had IPv6 addresses.

• @wonnage

Thanks for sharing your findings! Our developers continue to work on a bug fix to permanently resolve the issue which we hope to release as soon as possible.

-Dave

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    edited January 30
    Options

Count me in. I searched a few weeks ago and didn't find a discussion post and was too busy with the holidays to write one.

It's driving me insane; I've stopped using Safari on my iPhone altogether because every time I open it I get "hijacked" by the prompts.

I tried disabling the 1Password Safari extension on mobile, but due to Safari syncing with iCloud, it also disabled the extension on my desktops (not having this issue on desktop). So I enabled it again.

Would love a good workaround or fix.

I'm not using Private Relay. Let me know if there are any other useful details I can provide to help resolve this.

Thank you!

• @unpassword

I've added you to the known issue. My apologies for the trouble.

ref: dev/core/core#26839

• quidlxix
    quidlxix
    Community Member
    Options

Glad I found this post quick. I have been getting the same notification nearly every time I open iOS Safari and couldn’t figure out why except last week I’d gone through my connected devices and revoked permission on several I no longer use (old phones etc.) and thought maybe it had to do with that.

I’m gonna give your fix a try. Thanks.

• @quidlxix

I'm sorry that you're also seeing repeated DUO notifications, I've let the team know that you're affected by the known issue as well. For now, to workaround the issue until we're able to release a fix, please temporarily turn off 1Password for Safari on your iPhone/iPad and use iOS AutoFill to fill and save logins from 1Password instead:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Tap Safari.
    3. Tap Extensions.
    4. Tap 1Password and turn off "Allow Extension".
    5. Make sure that AutoFill is turned on and setup to work with 1Password: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• MASTERNC
    MASTERNC
    Community Member
    Options

Having this issue as well. Keep getting redirected to a blank Duo site then a blank 1Password site then the site I’m on. Happens every few minutes or so, maybe based on what the OP noted.

• miker2k
    miker2k
    Community Member
    Options

This is super annoying, hopefully a fix is released soon.

• MASTERNC
    MASTERNC
    Community Member
    Options

Turning off Private Relay did not solve the issue because it reappeared after authenticating with it off and then turning it back on.

• @MASTERNC and @miker2k

I'm sorry that you're also both affected, our team is testing a fix for the issue and we hope to release it in a future update as soon as possible. For now, please try the workaround in my previous post.

-Dave

• WillFulmer
    WillFulmer
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue being reported here on iOS iPhone. Not occurring on iPadOS or MacOS.

• @WillFulmer

I'm sorry for the trouble, please see the workaround mentioned earlier in the thread if you haven't already. The team is working to get a fix released.

-Dave

• unpassword
    unpassword
    Community Member
    Options

Trying the workaround for now. Noticed "Share across devices" toggle and disabled it. As of now, it's off on my iPhone but still enabled on my desktop Mac.

• Hello everyone,

Our developers have fixed an issue that caused the 1Password browser extension to ask for Duo authentication every time you unlocked 1Password for Safari on iOS.

Please update to 8.10.26: How to keep 1Password up to date

After updating, if you're still running into the issue, then let me know and I can help further. Thank you all for your patience.

-Dave